• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a rip....a copy but not our car!!

What a rip....a copy but not our car!!

100 cars that changed motoring

Melbourne Herald Sun - Australia

... A Japanese copy of the BMW 2002 but much more important as it was fun, affordable and bullet-proof. Still popular after 35 years. ...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20108474-5006016,00.html

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Don't worry the Herald Scum, er Sun is a crap newspaper. The Datsun 1600 is what you guys call the Datsun 510. The car of dreams when I was a kid - never bought one, but I have two 02's. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Guest Anonymous

In a list that purports to name "100 cars that changed motoring" that includes the ZIL, Batmobile (really, check it out), Hyundai Excel, etc., but NOT the 2002, it may be just as well that those morons at the Herald Sun (Paul Gover) missed the obvious.

The original M3 was a screaming pocket rocket, with a six-pack engine which transformed the German compact into a powerhouse.

This demonstrates that these people do not know what they are talking about

No.22 - Jaguar E-Type

As British as James Bond, the original design is a classic and marks the '60s in the same way as the Mini.

They fail to mention that this is possibly the worst car from a mechanical view

speed costs money how fast do you want to go

The original M3 was a screaming pocket rocket, with a six-pack engine which transformed the German compact into a powerhouse.

yeah, at least do a little research before you publish that filler. pathetic.

the herald sun is only good for footy scores.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Herald Sun Cars Guide was pretty respectable in terms of a motoring guide...

I am off them though as (you guessed it!) Paul Gover wrote an article on the new Porsche 911 Turbo saying that the car was very stiff with Sports suspension mode activated and not really too flash for daily commuting (It is a FARKING SUPERCAR!?! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!?!) and he said that it wasn't really as good as a Ferrari 599 - a car that is double the 911T's already exorbitant price... Spend the same again on the 911T and then see which is better.

A 510 is a pretty cool car, the 2002 is still sooooo underrated in Australia. I guess it is just a matter of time before people start to realise what a treat to 02 was... It was 3 times the price of the 510 and there are probably a 10th of the number of them here so his comments are not totally unfounded... Also, people are not stuffing SR20DET's in 2002s and taking out Summernats grand champion (kinda like winning the Oakland roadster show Grand Champion) - like this car below:

P1071156.jpg

toddsig05.jpg

yeah, at least do a little research before you publish that filler. pathetic.

the herald sun is only good for footy scores.

We didn't get the S14 powered M3 here in Oz, only through private imports. So what the article says is correct. Sorry boys. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Well, actually there are a few SR20 powered 2002s overseas - I think in Thailand or Japan...

In the modified car scene Datsun has got a real cult status. The 2002 was rarer and more expensive, so therefor less of the "Boy racer" attitude to it. Datsun has dominated many classes for years in rally across the world... all of which help with its status. 2002 has been a more silent achiever... the whispering bomb?

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

We didn't get the S14 powered M3 here in Oz, only through private imports. So what the article says is correct. Sorry boys. Beaner7102

so you're telling me there was a unique 6 cylinder e30 M3 for Australia? Thought not! Sorry boy.

And Eric, what makes the E Type such a bad car from a mechanical point of view? The 6 cylinder engine is one of the all time greats, the IRS was an impressive step forward, disk brakes all round, err, well the original gearbox was a pig, but it was soon replaced. Not saying it was perfect by any stretch, but what's your gripe?

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

The 2002 has made many, many other top 100 car lists of all time...so..I wouldn't really worry about it with this one....Got to say though why some of those cars are on that lists is a mystery to me...I mean the Toyota Prius..what an ugly piece of sh!t that is....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT