• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii runs rich (who really knows)

SHEN

I have had a rich problem with my tii for years. I have replaced the throttle butterfly and also the warm up regulator with brand new ones and still have the original problem. I now even put in a used motor for other reasons and this motor came with all the fuel injection parts, so now I have another motor that runs rich with all different fuel injection parts. The previous owner had replace the fuel injection linkage and I put in brand new bushings so I know that's not the problem. I haven't had the pump rebuilt or any of the injectors and I'm wondering if this problem could be from the injectors or pump. It seems so common on this board for people to mention that there tii runs rich that I hoping someone has an answer.

Could it be one or more of the injectors or is it time to have my pump rebuilt? Please post what you know.

The mixture can be adjusted on a tii. You need to find someone who knows how. It's not simple but it's doable.

If a pump is bad, the car poorly. Very poorly. If you have a bad injector, the car will runs poorly. Generally speaking, if a tii starts, idles and runs, then the injectors and the pump are fine. It just needs adjustment.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Rob Torres at 2002haus in San Luis Obispo.

Jack Fahuna at JF Pro in (where the heck is he again?).

Carl Nelson in La Jolla.

Bill Holmes in Romona.

These are like the three wise men(plus one) among the tii crowd.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

By chance do you know of anyone in the Orange County area?

Also I have driven my car a lot but after more then 15 years I think I should fix the problem its always had. I was hoping that when I put in another motor with injection it would take care of the problem. The motor runs much better but its still rich and would run allot better without the problem. Also the gas mileage would improve.

The motor has much more power but it idles worse.

My Tii ran rich as well. like what was said earlier. This can be fixed by a good Mechanic. Air/Gas/Timing should all be in sync. With proper meters and a mechanic with experience, it is achievable. Search 02 clubs in your area and I'm sure you will find a mechanic somehow. Good Luck

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

The throttle linkages could be out of adjustment too causing problems. All of the linkages need to be a certain length and also need to be dead on. First and foremost though, do a complete tuneup on the car with valve adjustment and timing adjustment and then go from there with adjusting your mixture problem.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT