• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haven't we seen this one before?

Cruzr

The car has been offered for auction on Ebay at least two other times. The issue was that the pics were taken at a location somewhere in Ill., but the location is always listed as somewhere else, like in this case, NY.

Also, read the description and compare it to the pics shown. Not involved in an accident? Original miles? Listing restricted to pre-approved bidders?

I only posted it to alert others of the possibility of another scam...

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

(nt)

Parting out 2373047, 09/1975 production date, fjord blue, sunroof, with manual.. All running gear and some interor and metal parts available Complete Roof already sold.

PM or email at mudi911s@gmail.com

Gotcha, thanks.

I just looked at a E30 325is for my daughter the other day, seller said it " Needs nothing " All tires were bald, shocks gone, had been rearended hard enough to wrinkle both quarter panels, front valence was mangled etc etc. I'll only buy a car on Ebay that I can drive before I pay.

Car was auctioned Aug '05 by EMC Automotive, Naperville, ILL. Stated the car was in Dayton, OH. It sold for $5100.

Nov '05 it was auctioned again by "mcintosh7208", supposedly in New Britain, CT. The auction was pulled, probably because of the questions asked here on this forum. The 2nd auction used the exact wording & photos from the original auction.

This auction also uses the same wording (3 cyl being a dead giveaway) and photos are taken outside EMC Automotive, Schoger Dr, Naperville, IL.

Bidders beware. Would suggest anyone interested in the car try the email the Seller posted on the auction.

HTH

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It's a scam, but what's the payoff? This jerk keeps listing it to no avail. I would be more impressed with a scammer that actually made off with some $$ for his sneaky/jerky efforts. Maybe this joker could go legit & actually sell the '02. Is "tricking" us sooooo clever & funny??

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

It's a scam, but what's the payoff? This jerk keeps listing it to no avail. I would be more impressed with a scammer that actually made off with some $$ for his sneaky/jerky efforts. Maybe this joker could go legit & actually sell the '02. Is "tricking" us sooooo clever & funny??

The scammer is using eBay to advertise his email address, not sell the car. The rest of the scam occurs privately via email, outside of eBay. The scammer lists on eBay mentioning a buy-it-now or reserve price that is an incredible deal, and provides his email addy in the listing. He will then get bombarded with private offers. He then arranges payment directly via email with the various offerers.

The scammer has no car to sell because he has downloaded the photos from somebody else's past auction. Scammers will sometimes list an identy stolen from past scam victims so people doing quick background checks before sending a payment will find that there is a real person involved.

These scammers intentially say ignorant things like "3-cylinders" in their ads to make the victims feel like they are dealing with somebody who knows nothing about the true value of the product they are offering. Then they accidently disclose a ridiculously low asking price. Caution is thrown to the wind as the victims hurry to close a sweet deal at an unbelievable price before somebody else gets it.

Scammers will state "Pre-Approved Bidders Only" in order to 1) get victim emails to set up private transactions, and 2) provide justification for deleting bids as the auction price starts exceeding their "asking price." The scammer wants the bid price to stay well below his asking price because otherwise potential victims would get suspicious, wondering why he agreed to sell it privately at a lower price than the eBay bid amount.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

Randy - I am ignorant of such things, having never been a scammer. Thanks for the info. I think of the old saying: "If it seems too good to be true, then it is too good to be true!" Decency & self respect are just too much to ask of these pissant thieves on EBay it appears.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Ha! Yes!... someone on the board did some 02 detective work and i think he actually found the guys house on google earth!

Pity a nice car has to be at the centre of a scam!

Tom

i remember that! Someone inquired about the car and got another address somehow or the guys real name. They google earthed his house and found the 02 sitting outside in his driveway, hundreds of miles away from where he said the car was.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on