• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car wont start, leaking oil on spark plugs. HELP HELP HELP!

I agree with what some other guy poster earlier - the oil in the spark plugs is probably just oil linking form the valve cover..

With regards to the engine not running - you will need to check compression, spark and fuel.

If you are running carbed then checking fuel is relatively easy (i dont know about Tii)..

spark can be found by pressing a spark plug with lead onto the block, get someone else to crank the engine.

compression is easy with a cheap compression tester..

You really do need a haynes manual !!!!!

as for a rebuild. Buy a second engine to practice on - even if the build doesn't work out to well you will atleast learn heaps..

I often panic too when things dont work like I would like. but slow methodical testing always solves the problem. spend a night studying by searching google and bmw 2002 forum. Write it all down and run through it in a systimatical order when you have plenty of free time. You will sort it.

best of luck..

ignore the other guys, they just need a moment to feel like big men :P

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you so much. that lost post was so refreshing. the only person in this forum who doesnt find enjoyment in kicking someone when they are down. thanks

Aw well, there's one in every crowd! :-D

Cowlum, click on the usernames/profiles johnpaul, dutch and squarepusher and then view "their" posts to see just how much mirth our friend has spead thru the forum. ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

ya convince him how bad i am. why are you so intent making people not like me. your just making yourself look bad. ya i admit it my other sn was johnpaul and dutch and square pusher. tell him something he doesnt allready know. why does it even matter.

Try this troubleshooting process:

Start with the obvious. Do you have gas in the tank?

If so, buy a can of starter fluid; remove the air cleaner and spray some in the throttle body and try to start. This should be enough to make the engine run briefly and if it works, you know your ignition system is good enough for the engine to run. (Most starting problems are ignition-related)

If that worked and the engine ran briefly, you aren't getting gas to the engine. If you have not recently replaced the gas filter, try that. There are also filters at the entrance to the injection pump and on the end of the fuel pickup in the gas tank. If these are all clear, you either need a new fuel pump or there is a problem with the wiring for it.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

ya convince him how bad i am. why are you so intent making people not like me. your just making yourself look bad. ya i admit it my other sn was johnpaul and dutch and square pusher. tell him something he doesnt allready know. why does it even matter.

It doesn't matter; I'm just bored :-)

And I'm doing nothing to make folks not like u; I'm just pointing out the facts.

I could tell u what's wrong with your car, but I choose not to. I had owned a tii for 15 years and sold it 8 years ago to someone (now) on this board.

Have a nice day!

Ray

I agree, I'm having issues with my car now, and it's the ignition. I got new points and a condenser and am timing the car later and hopefully it will start. Are you sure it's not gas on your plugs, rather than oil. My car was fouling plugs and running rough too, probably because of spark issues. I'm hoping the new points and condensor and timing the car right will help. Your regular manual will show you how to do points, and the haynes will explain the ignition system in more detail. Starting fluid helps on a cold start too, good luck.

I agree, I'm having issues with my car now, and it's the ignition. I got new points and a condenser and am timing the car later and hopefully it will start. Are you sure it's not gas on your plugs, rather than oil. My car was fouling plugs and running rough too, probably because of spark issues. I'm hoping the new points and condensor and timing the car right will help. Your regular manual will show you how to do points, and the haynes will explain the ignition system in more detail. Starting fluid helps on a cold start too, good luck.

im prety sure its not gas on my plugs since it was pitch plack, and when i pulled out the dipstick it was the same color. also it was thick like oil is.

that is exacly why i change my profiles. becuase people stop answering my posts. you just proved my point. nuff said

I don't think your profile is the problem ;-p

Ray

im prety sure its not gas on my plugs since it was pitch plack, and when i pulled out the dipstick it was the same color. also it was thick like oil is.

why is your oil so thick and black? when did you change it last?

James

'73 2002tii - inka

user1449_pic1108_1255377205.jpg

the only reason i change my name is because people dont take taking me seriously like now. this is my only car and i really need it running. so please dont post anything unless it is about what i am asking. thank you
It doesn't matter how many times you change your screen name stoolpusher, as long as you continue to be an arrogant putz most people on this board will not help you! Like life you get what you give. your stupid posts add nothing to this board.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

napa02 we are over this discussion so leave and stop ridiculing me. im not being an arrogent putz, i havent said one arrogent or degrading thing this entire thread

my oil is thicker than gas is what i was saying. and i don't know why its black, its mobil 1 15k oil and its been in there for about 4k miles. i guess i should change it

Oh poor Dutchy/Stoolpusher/JohnPaulIII!

Now he wants to play nice after months of being a complete and utter fuckwit!

To quote you:

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Fuckfuckfuckoff!

toddsig05.jpg