• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1969 2002

Harv

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, I'm sorry I cant remember the name of the epoxy. I think it was a 3M or Dupont product but I could be wrong. I remember Todd (the body guy) saying it's what they glue new cars together with. Specifically the carbon roof on the new M6. I asked if it will crack? He said the flare itself will break apart before the bond will break.

As far as the roll bar. As far as AutoPower says you can run a rear seat. I would assume trimming the seat would be required. No I'm not running a rear seat. When I ordered my wool carpet set from Al I got the rear seat delete kit too.

Thanks for the comments.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Couple quick questions; do you recall the name of the epoxy?

Try looking up 3M automix Panel Bonding adhesive. If your local auto paint supply store doesn't have it and you want to buy it locally. You can try a Volvo parts counter. They have one also that they use to bond the roofs since the 90s. Volvo part number 759938-001, but you may not be able to use it in all the two part expoy guns on the market since the tubes are a bit smaller.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I painted the block last week and then went to work. I got back last night, and tonight, went out to diner with some friends. During diner, my friend asked what was going on with the o2? I told him that last week I painted the block Colorado. When we got back to the house, he asked to see it and I took him in the garage. WOW! THATS NOT COLORADO! I said as I looked at it. Man was I way off!. The block looks pink next to the car. Ug! I have to deal with this before it gets too cold to paint at all. I can have the shop mix Colorado in enamel. Do you think that will stick to the POR15 engine enamel now that it's dry?

John

IMG_1465.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Do you think that will stick to the POR15 engine enamel now that it's dry?

I researched painting over POR-15 after I finished my trunk. You have to knock down the sheen on the POR with sandpaper/steel wool or somesuch in order to give the new paint something to grab onto. If you paint while the POR-15 is still drying, you don't have to do this, but I'm assuming your block is dry.

I decided to leave my trunk POR-15 black after researching it... but a block would be much easier to sand than a trunk.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

This is the procedure he did to paint his chassis. Sand the por-15 after it was dry with a green scotch brite pad then painted it with Por-15's tie-coat primer, he sprayed 2 coats of the primer waiting 24 hours between coats. After 24 hours he sprayed PPG omni ontop of the tie-coat. Said he has not had any problems with chipping or flaking. He said you might want to give por-15 a call and see if the tie-coat is good for higher heat application as his chassis doesn't see much heat except by the mufflers, which he has not had a problem with.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif