• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping a transmission - anyone have thoughts on packing?

JsnPpp

Hi Folks,

I will be shipping a transmission to another state and want to make sure it is safe and secure (well as much as possible). Anyone ship a transmission and have any thoughts as to proper packing guidelines?

I am considering building a box frame for it, and then packing it with styrofoam to make it tight. I don't think I should attach it to the box itself...

All thoughts appreciated! Thanks folks,

Jason

two '73 2002's, one without a transmission...

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Our transmissions (bmw dealership) arrive on half-pallets in a heavy cardboard box, reinforced with plastic strapping. Your local dealership may have an unused one around. Beware of your shipping company charging extra for packages that are more than just cardboard...

they come packed in VERY sturdy carboard boxes... stick it in the box, strapped to a piece of plywood and you should be good to go...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

shipping a transmission is pretty easy.

I use the double-box method. Pack the transmission in a box that's just big enough for the tranny + some packing material (pieces of cardboard, styrofoam chunks, etc) Tape it securely, then put it in another, larger box using plenty of packing/cushioning material in between the inner + outer box. Pay extra attention to things that could possibly poke thru the inner box- like the output flange and the input shaft- wrap them up before boxing.

This works well for me. One thing to keep in mind is that boxes have different weight ratings- look on the bottom of the boxes you plan to use and make sure they are plenty strong enough to handle the weight of the tranny. There is a stamp on most boxes that shows the max weight capacity of the box.

You can also use one of those Rubbermaid type containers that's the right size. Available for less than $10 and they are pretty tough. Use plenty of packing material inside to cushion the tranny, and drill some small holes around the top edge so you can secure the top to the box with zip ties. I've also heard of people who wrap the tranny in a plastic bag, then spray the bottom of the rubbermaid container with some of that expanding foam insulation (Great Stuff or similar), drop the bagged tranny in, and then "foam" it in place. Sounds like a good way to do it, and not too expensive.

Bret

I have sold about 10 5-speeds on ebay. I made crates for all of them from scrap plywood and screwed them together with wood cleats and drywall screws using a drywall screw gun. Easy and quick to do if you enough scrap plywood or OSB kicking around.

If you do this, you can screw the cleats on the outside at the ends and you get handles to lift the ends from. I've always drained the oil too.

I received one tranny in one of those big plastic storage containers. It seemed kinda goofy, but it worked and stayed intact.

Gil

One thing I do is take a 2x4 and drill a hole through it for the input shaft to sit in and bolt it across the bell housing just in case the shippers drop it on that end the input shaft will beprotected from being jammed in or bent.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

• 2 months later...
One thing I do is take a 2x4 and drill a hole through it for the input shaft to sit in and bolt it across the bell housing just in case the shippers drop it on that end the input shaft will beprotected from being jammed in or bent.
and yes, they do get dropped! may want to zip tie or duct tape some 2 liter or better yet, empty 4 quart oil bottles in other strategic locations... tough, impact absorbant and light. I've had bad luck with large items shipped. all I can say is count on something happening to it, and prep it well.

Tim. 2 daily drivers

His: 68' 1602-

Hers: 76' 2002 auto-

I ship tranies and motors all day long. The easiest and a really secure way to ship is to use a wooden palat (so a fork lift can pick the trans up) and secure the trans to the palat with bailing wire. Simple and easy.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!