• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15 MINUTES OF FAME – SAT APRIL 22 CRYSTAL COVE (Newport Bch)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

15 MINUTES OF FAME – SAT APRIL 22 CRYSTAL COVE (Newport Coast California)

Here is your chance to make it into the Roundel Magazine and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame!!!

Better yet, a chance to meet with Mike Self in person and engage in heated debate of “Stock vs. Modified”

Mike will be staying with friends in the area and we would like to give him a warm 2002 welcome.

We are looking for quantity not quality; well quality is ok………

Basically any 2002 that moves.

Here are the basics:

First Course:

Meet on Saturday Morning, April 22nd at Crystal Cove Car Show in Newport Coast. The show starts at 7:00AM and ends by 9:00AM. See details below. If it helps, this is a wife friendly event.

Second Course:

From there we will depart for a group drive, Photo Stops and an early lunch. We are planning the specifics of the route, but since Mike is from Ohio, PCH will be involved as well as Santiago Canyon and Cooks Corner. We should be through by noon with plenty of time left for your projects and Honey Do lists.

Crystal Cove History:

If you are not familiar with Crystal Cove, you are in for a treat. What started a few years ago from a group of local gear heads getting together for an early morning cup of cheep coffee has grown into weekly Auto Pilgrimage, complete with Auto Paparazzi and Starbucks half cap latte’s. Don’t worry; they still serve drip coffee for the Domestic crowd.

On any given Saturday morning you will see 150 to 300 cars. These include many high dollar European Exotics, Domestic Muscle cars and Vintage Imports & Domestic. You will also see one off Proto Type vehicles. Here are a few links to convince you to come.

http://crystalcovecarshow.blogspot.com/

http://www.wulfpack.com/crystal/

More Details:

The car show is held in the parking lot of Crystal Cove Shopping Center located on Pacific Coast Highway across from the State Park. The Center is located on the inland side of PCH, roughly mid way between Newport and Laguna beaches. This is a free event.

The center reserves an area for about 200 cars near the Starbucks Coffee Shop. There is plenty of additional parking to the North and South. As the best part of the show is the variety of cars, I would suggest that we all park at the North end of the parking lot and not in the main lot. If you have a truly special 2002 please feel free to park in the main lot.

This is an Irvine Company Property and due to the adjacent Residential properties, they have a number of requirements:

The main display lot opens about 6:55 AM and fills by 7:05AM. If you plan to park in the main lot, I would recommend that you arrive by 6:40 AM. Enter the center from either the north or south traffic signals and line up along the driveway that fronts PCH. If you plan to park in the North lot, just show up at any time; however the best viewing is between 7:30 and 8:30AM.

CHP ALERT!

Lighten the loafers on PCH between Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach as the CHP has stepped up the patrol. Also, do not turn into the center drive from South Bound PCH ($$$)

RSVP!

Not needed, but would be helpful in planning the drive. We should have at least 20, but let’s try for 50.

Give me a yes or Know if possible.

Tom Rakestraw

75 2002

73 3.0 csl

rakearch@aol (subject: 2002)

There used to be 3 girls in a small surfing town near where I live along the Great Ocean Road that had 2002s... a polaris, a sahara and a golf...

Dunno what ever happened to them, one of them was hot!

Keep an eye out for a silver and black GT40 from Az (replica of the old style) - if it is there, introduce yourself to the passenger - my dad! I have told him he should get on down to this event and take some pics for me!

Have fun!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Wow, I guess Crystal Cove has changed a bit. I remember the cove just being a trailer park , but then again that was 25 years ago.

Have fun, guys

Rick, (in Atlanta now)