• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

re-dye leather seats?

vintage_car

ho

4 hours ago, Stevenhy92 said:

Hi Esty,

I love reading a lot of your responses on here when I am researching anything that comes to mind. I can see you are very knowledgeable! So a vinyl/fabric dye will still work on real leather? Is there any additional prep that you would recommend or follow the same steps as if it was vinyl? I do understand that thorough prep is key so I will be spending a lot of time doing that. I've just read reviews about the dye peeling and cracking shortly after on real leather. I am retrofitting leather acura integra front seats because I got them for $30 and my stock seats are trashed, so I was just curious about that. Stock 02 seats are vinyl, right?

Thanks!

howdy...i have dyed a ton of leather and vinyl upholstery... as you know, prep is the key...as long as the substrate is clean and dry and you apply the dye in several light coats it should last as long as if is original....that is, provided you don't get solvents on the finish...solvents even blemish original upholstery so take care.

the peeling and cracking is because the material was not clean or it was applied to already old and failing leather...it is not the dye that is cracking but the leather, making you think the dye id failing...think an earthquake splitting opening a crevice

if i didn't say so already,  SEM Color Coat is all that i use on leather...i have never used their prep products,  just using my own cleaning supplies with a very damp final wipe on the dry surface with lacquer thinner has sufficed

don't dye vinyl or leather if the humidity is off the charts, especially when it's raining or just after a rainfall...humidity causes the dye to cloud...if you run into that issue, wait for it to dry and wipe off any dust, etc with a soft, dry rag and spray another coat over the cloudy coat...you cannot use too much unless you are spraying such a heavy coat the it is causing runs

good luck and if i can be more help drop me a not or i may miss it

• Like 4

I haven't dyed my seats but I am with Esty's wisdom here. I think a lot of the stories that people relate with leather dye failure  is much like the failures with other auto related issues.

Bad prep and lack of patience.. (Why is my paint peeling off? Why is my POR15 not sticking? etc.) 

From Leatherique....

http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/how_to_re-dye_leather.html

• Like 2

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Had good luck with Color Coat from SEM. Most car leathers are actually treated with a coating of color to maintain their consistent color, none of the natural textures of the leather come through. This is called Semi-Analine Leather and yes its dyed initially but then its also coated. Most auto leather does not absorb and darken with water or get dark as it absorbs the oils of the person sitting in it

• Like 1

I dyed the interior of my 74 Sahara to SEM Bluebird brown a few years ago. It's held up surprisingly well. As Esty said, it's all prep. I took everything apart and cleaned it all, cleaned it again, and then used the prep products before spraying. I always thought that the Sahara cars should have a darker interior to contrast the exterior, tan on tan just didn't make sense to me. 

IMG_6724.JPG

IMG_6733.JPGIMG_6729.JPG

• Like 2

mike tunney

I am NOT a detail person and my patience level has been declining for years. So when I wanted my tan leather dyed black I turned the job over to my upholsterer. Sorry esty, you are 1100 miles away and seats are expensive to ship. 

That was five years ago. He used SEM, no peeling, no staining, no fading. Looks ariginal.

That's all folks 

41 minutes ago, steve oneill said:

I am NOT a detail person and my patience level has been declining for years. So when I wanted my tan leather dyed black I turned the job over to my upholsterer. Sorry esty, you are 1100 miles away and seats are expensive to ship. 

That was five years ago. He used SEM, no peeling, no staining, no fading. Looks ariginal.

That's all folks 

steve, i would have nicely declined anyway so it worked out for the best

In the mid 80's the seats in my E28 were full of scratches that went through the color.  I stopped at the local cobbler and he took a look and gave me some dye to match.  I treated the seats as instructed and never had a problem with any aspect of using dye. 

1981 528i - graphite with red interior - it was a stunning car.  

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...