• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal box sealant?

ToddK

Does anyone know the proper way to seal the pedal box where it attaches to the floor and front bulkhead? When I removed it there was fresh seam sealer there. Is that the correct sealant or is there a rubber gasket of some type?

a sticky, tacky material is used. there's no preformed gasket used. it's the same stuff thats used to seal the heater box. 3M makes the stuff and you can use regular plumber's tack as well.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

3M does make it and it is probably available at your local auto parts store. If you end up going to a heating or A/C distributor you would be looking for "butyl tape". It is used for sealing ducts. I kind of prefer the butyl tape as it is sold in 1/2" or so flat rolls. The 3M that I got was in 1/4" rounds. I think the flat is better...more sealing surface and you can trim it as needed.

Take a look through the McMaster website for closed cell foam and butyl tape. LOTS of choices in there.

You want it to be sealed, and you do not want any air pockets that can trap moisture and start rust.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Thanks guys I was just wondering that. My gas tank and pedel box are in place but fitted up dry. Either of those suggestions are way better than using an entire tube of wurth DP300 gasket maker on the pedal box and some foam I am not even sure is closed cell on the gas tank.

Going to check mcmaster now. The home center and the little hardware store down the street don't carry that stuff.

Gabe

71+1/2 2002 "henrietta"

69 2002 parts car red

'84 R80ST back on the road again