• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much does it cost to import a car over from germany?

Guest Anonymous

Check this link out, everything you want to know about importing a Euro spec car to the states. 25 years is the key DOT issue about safety. Here in CA, I wouldn't import any car newer than 76 if you don't want to deal with smog rules. This article was written three years ago, so I would imagine the prices have gone up since then.

http://www.bayarea02.com/features/importing/index.html

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Where are you at? I shipped a 76 BMW R100s home from the UK in 2000 to Jaxonville by boat for about $500. 2002s would be a good import, I think, if they are in good shape with all the Euro options. I figure to ship from, lets say Hamburg, to New York would be between $800-$1000 maybe. It's doable though, check it out and tell us what it costs.

West Coast might cost a little more, but once you get it on a boat it's about the same. Not sure what the costs would be. Someone might have tried it before on the board, I had pretty good luck with the bike except my helmet and gloves were stolen. Don't leave any loose change or DM about.

I just checked with a freight forwarder in Vancouver, B.C., and got quoted $2,650 Can. to bring a car over from Germany. I was curious as to what the cost might be if I found a nice reasonable cost vintage bimmer of some sort in Germany.

This seems high to me though. About 3 years ago, I think this company was charging about $1,00 to bring cars over. Maybe they charge more for the ordinary Joe off the street? There is a used car dealer here that brings a lot of newer BMWs over, and judging by his lot prices, he is not paying nearly 3K per car for shipping.

FWIW, you would not believe how fast cars arrive on the West Caost from Europe. With container shipping the way it is these days, you'd get a car here in about a week, from the time it left port in Germany.

Gil

It about $1200 bucks. I brought my Turbo from the Netherlands last year and it was about that price. Im importing another car next month and it still about 1200.00 to port huemneme.

post-195-136675630243_thumb.jpg

paid $1,300 for shipping, insurance and port fees shipped to Port Halifax in Nova Scotia Canada, then shipped it to Toronto by rail for another $800.00. I used Wallenius Wilhemsen lines they are one of the biggest in the world, I think most European and Asian marques use them too.

The hardest part was trusting the seller into sending him the $$$$. Good thing the seller was a very honest person.

Is the $1200 for everything or would he still need to pay an "agent" to help with the title/documentation work??[/quote

A broker should cost around $250. I believe if your Bill of Sale is not for more than $2000 you dont have to get a broker. But some feel better hiring one. I did for the first car i brought over. SO add another 250 if you get a broker. So total should be about 1450.00 to california.

I used Wallenius Wilhemsen when I shipped my motorcycle. Maybe for payment you can have them open a pay pal account for as Pay Pal was originated by Deutsch Bank in Germany. You can transfer from bank account or credit card to another bank account for easy transaction w/ pay pal as a middle man. That's amazing they can ship a car from Germany to the west coast within a week. It's a small world after all.

• 2 months later...

There are ways to ship cars from Germany at negotiable prices. It requires some time and effort, but if you're not in a hurry and want to save a lot of money, I can fill you in. If you'd rather just pay somebody to take care of it, this isn't a plan for you. you can email me if you like.

• 11 months later...
Guest Anonymous

My husband wants to import a new VW Eos Diesel from Germany. Does anyone know how to go about doing this from buying the car to getting it shipped to Vancouver? Thanks!