• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

-Needed, opinions on rebuilt/exchange engines-

GregR

Did some research after my engine discoveries today, and have decided to seek opinions on the various engine rebuilders. Who is the best to go with? I have looked into Metric Mechanics, Korman, Bavarian engine exchange etc.. They all seem fairly close in price, but I'm sure the craftsmanship varies form one to the other. At this point Korman has got my vote from some brief research, but they need a suitable core. My #1 cylinder wall is gouged to a decent extent so I'm not sure if its a suitable. Maybe more useful as an oversized paperweight.

Ca '76: Sahara / Korman Stage I

I'm sure you can wrangle up a useless block somewhere. Maybe take the one out of my car...........

it sucks, doesnt it? im pretty frustrated. sorry about yours. just pray it all works when you get it in there like mine!

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

any good machine shop can bore out and sleeve your damaged cylinder... just another option.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

ORDER A "long" BLOCK FROM ANY bmw DEALER

YOUR DAMAGED CYLINDER WAL DOES'NT MATTER.

THIS WILL INCLUDE EVERYTHING BETWEEN THE OIL PAN DRAIN BOLT AND THE VALVE COVER OIL FILLER CAP .

YOU USE YOUR OLD MANIFOLDS, ALTERNATOR, FUEL SYSTEM AND DISTRIBUTOR.

COMPARE THE PRICES and PARTS WARRANTIES OF ALL THESE CHOICES.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

ORDER A "long" BLOCK FROM ANY bmw DEALER

YOUR DAMAGED CYLINDER WAL DOES'NT MATTER.

THIS WILL INCLUDE EVERYTHING BETWEEN THE OIL PAN DRAIN BOLT AND THE VALVE COVER OIL FILLER CAP .

YOU USE YOUR OLD MANIFOLDS, ALTERNATOR, FUEL SYSTEM AND DISTRIBUTOR.

COMPARE THE PRICES and PARTS WARRANTIES OF ALL THESE CHOICES.

I'd have to agree here on the long block. When I rebuilt my tii, it took 8 months to pull it, rebuild it, and get it running again. Surely you can do it faster, but it was a hassle. When I rebuilt my previous 2002, I got the long block as suggested above. Pulled the engine one weekend, switched everything over in the evenings during the week, and dropped the engine back in and had the car running by the end of the next weekend. The long block even came with spark plugs and oil in it! Much better way to go IMHO. :)

'73 2002tii #2763405 - gone to new owner for restoration :(

BMW CCA #19633