• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crane or Petronix?

todot62

Maybe this discussion has happened over and over, but...I'm installing a new vac Dizzy in my stock (except for 32/36) '74 2002, and I wanted to go ahead and put in electronic ignition. I know I can find the Petronix for about $90 and the Crane for about $140, so which is the better way to go and why?

Thanks,

Tod

'74 2002 Riviera 32/36 Wife's daily driver

'00 528i Sport 140,000+ and going strong

ignition because it is an electronic ignition. Pertronix is only a points replacement part.

THey both are good for what they are, I have been running a Crane XR 700 since 2002 with absolutely no problems. Excellant tech support line Crane has if you need help.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Most everyone agrees that Pertronix is easy to install compared to the Crane, however, there is an issue with the pertronix when you leave the ignition key on the on position for a long time, it will burn out. Also, the prices you are quoting are way over what most everyone got those things for. Pertronix I guess can be bought for around $65 and the crane for around $90 so check around before you buy, support your 02 vendor and check at La Jolla, Max 2002Haus etc..

THOU SHALT DRIVE AN 02

Guest Anonymous

Pertronix is much more reliable, simple to install etc. The optical sensor on the crane can get dirty and have issues. Pertronix is what I install on any 02 I will drive.

YES RAY ITS ON SOME NOW

Sam

Guest Anonymous

FYI,

The '74 stock Dizzy was a "retard" type which requires a different model of Petronix than the mechanical advance and vac advance models.

Simon

Optical in a dizzy is not good... magnetic pick up is more reliable IMHO.

I am curious about your experiences that led to your opinion.

Thanks

Simple logic I guess... if that optical part of the sensor gets Oil or dirt on it... It will not work very well. I had a Crane setup that I did not install, so I am not opposed to it (the features are plentiful)... but if reliability is an issue, a magnetic pickup wins in my book. I would be happy to use either.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

I have been running the Crane in my 74 '02 since 1992 with absolutely no issues. It is as reliable as the day is long. I also run the Pertronix in my 72 Volvo 1800ES (for esthetic reasons), which is really nothing more than a Hall sensor, replacing the mechanical points. Does nothing more that trigger the coil, by definition not an electronic ignition, althought much more accurate than points. The concern about oil and dirt compromising the Cranes photocell is possible, it is not very probable. If you have that much dirt and oil flying around in your distributor, you might have other problems to be concerned with.

Earl Myers

74 2002Lux

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I do not agree the optical pick-up is a potential problem. I have never heard that.

If you have one installed then you can do a test. Block the sensor with some tape (to simulate dirt or oil build up) and see if it continues to work.

If I still had my Crane setup I would do the test.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i