• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Polaris - TMK-001's 1973 squarie rebuild.

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The show is called German Autofest... I will tell you more about it as information comes up.

They get about 300 cars there from old Merc's and Porsche's to racing VW's, old Kombi's, Porsche cup cars etc. I have seen heaps of pics and it looks nuts.

Last year there was bugger all 2002s there - so I thought I would represent - I am hoping to head up with a few other dudes I know from vwvortex...

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Anyway, I have finally got my camera phone back after I smashed the screen, when I had a look at it, there was a whole lot of pics I forgot I took...

Image_154_.jpg

The nose section before it was painted... I added the grilles to make sure they were fitting OK - lucky I did, all the metal tabs were folded down and I had to fold them into place - glad I did it pre-paint!!

This part was supplied straight from my local BMW dealer... no rust!!

THe old wings were sitting in place at this stage before we realised they were screwed and ordered some new ones.

Image_159_.jpg

Front on with new Polaris war paint :-) Looks amazing, pics dont do it justice! This was a shot of the car straight from the gun, it even ha dust on it and there is some good depth in the paint - I am very happy with both the panel man and the painters workmanship, but it is still taking forever!!!

Image_158_.jpg

Here is the nose section in place, painted, beginning to put stuff in the engine bay back together, etc.

The outer section was painted, but we know it has to be cleaned up in order to fit the wing panels when then arrive - June 29th ex-Germany!

I have re-installed the dash - it took me a while - had trouble finding the screws etc. then it was just being a pain in teh butt - all done now though and looking sweet!!

Tomorrows project is to pull the one remaining bolt out fo the tank and repair a small rust hole I found in the trunk floor right under the tank filler. I am kinda into it at the moment, but funds are pretty drained again, so I have to hit the road and get back to work - nothing like 2 hours travel each day. 8 hour days at the shop, then 6 hours more at the desk at home afterwards - working into the night at my real job!! Poor hard done by me!! :-P

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Thanks for your kind words... Any BMW dealer can get you parts such as the nose section.

I am enjoying the project, but I have had a 6.5 month long headache from brain overload.

The pics are a bit inconclusive... between the different shots if you are eagle eyed, you can see the old doors were removed and painted one coat polaris on the outside and all the inner doors were all painted properly... before being hung minus windows... glass has since been removed to pull the dash for its repair, it has now been replaced.

I am about to shoot off to work on it again, I got held up this morning with other work... heading home to get back cracking with my real job!

toddsig05.jpg

Looks great Todd! I remember the PIA dash install well - ended up having to pop the windscreen to get the sucker back in. I'm envious of your rust free status...not sure if I'll ever be able to say the same for my car. Your tenacity WILL pay dividends - every time you drive!

faqsignature.jpg

Well Tim, you spoke a bit soon... I found this today... a bit of rust :-O

Image_165_.jpg

Nothing too major, just a bit of rust where water had sat in a small pit in the sealer in the trunk/boot on the right hand side behind the wheel arch.

I chased it as far as it went and it looks like we will weld a new section in and give it a wack of sealer and it will be as good as gold.

Other than that, the under tank section seems to be in good order - none of the normal 02 rusty fun down there... just a bit of bent stuff from where some bodgy exhaust place welded a tab to hold the exhaust to the sheet metal and it has pulled through.

Image_166_.jpg

You can see where I have temporarily chopped the old exhaust off in order to fill the hole. The red stuff around the edges is surface rust, but mainly contained to the excess foam that I didnt get around to picking off - it was quite late when I took the pics and still had a few hours ahead of me to get home.

I replaced all the dash and realised I forgot to get the glove box covered with the same wrap as the rest of the dash... there was a few things taht gave me headaches, but nothing I couldnt solve with a few deep breaths and a bit of thought.

Over all, I am very happy with the days progress and that there was no nasty secrets like I had feared!

Parts recieved of late...

Two brand new euro indicators/repeaters/blinkers

New Gas pedal

New door handle rubbers

New trim to join rear tail lights

New Gear knob - with BMW logo

New brake & clutch pedal pads

Thanks to BLUNT.

I still have heaps of stuff I have to get, but money is a bitch right now...

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

nice to see some pics. looks like its going well. everything takes longer than expected but its better than slapping it together. keep the progress pics coming

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Oh yeah, sorry mate, I picked them up late friday and we test fitted them this afternoon... all the promises of having the car ready to go minus the front by when the guards arrived was bull shit, so I am still at the same point in time, except when I left last time, the car was spotless, now it is covered in dust and shit...

toddsig05.jpg