• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Polaris - TMK-001's 1973 squarie rebuild.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, to let you in on the full story...

The 2002 was my very first car. I fell in love with my 2002 in 2002 - I purchased the December '73 build, Feb 74' complianced Polaris silver Automatic from the Trading Post - the one from 'The Castle' and I was over the moon.

It was a very neat car, but the interior needed retrimming and the exterior had rotten blue pinstripes and was missing the lower trim on the LH door. But it had a 5 speed upgrade, a Weber carby and a very clean body that had been resprayed adn it had E30 'bottle caps'.

I did a few upgrades to the car as I drove it - and fixed all the stuff that I broke on it - including Koni Racing Shocks, King Springs, refurbished carby, head work and a nice and cabin friendly exhaust that had a mean note outside. I had it retrimmed in blue to match the factory stuff, added a stereo, rebuilt the tailshaft and centre bearing, had all the shifter mechanisms replaced in the gearbox, etc. etc.

Soon after, I got a job at a design firm - the car went into retirement when I got a brand new 2004 MINI Cooper S company car. My parents told me to sell it as I owed them a few thou, but I couldnt bear to see it go. I advertised it in the Trading Post, people called to tell me "You're dreamin'" and a few came out for a look and insulted me with offers.

I left the car around my place outside and all the chrome work began to pit, a few rust bubbles began to appear and the battery went flat... I would try to drive it every Friday night as a way of winding down from the week, but sometimes chasing chicks and beers with the boys got in the way.

After 12 months with the MINI, I decided to start my own design company. Unfortunately the MINI did not factor into the finances with the start up costs of business and day to living expenses - so I left it with the company I was working for.

Cue the 2002.

So I was back driving my 2002. I had always loved driving the 2002 as it is very raw, makes lots of nice noises and is very rewarding drive, so it was all good.

Because it had been sitting for a while, it had got a bit tired and I decided to get some work done to the front end of the car, including tidying up the headlights, painting all the front, fixing up a hole in the bonnet where there was once an arial. I had it all booked in for the work to start just after Christmas at a friends body shop that is interstate from where I live, he is very highly skilled at old cars and very passionate - only a young bloke too, so I was keen to give him a shot.

Then just before Christmas, I was toodling back from the gym and pulled up at the traffic lights. I had been watching the temperature gauge as it was a hot day and it was edging up. The lights went green and away we went. All of a sudden the traffic came to a grounding hault and I did not realise as I had an eye on the temp. needle...

The women driving the car in front had the biggest tow hitch you have ever come across on the back of her car. My 2002 moulded around it, depressing my front bumper bar into the radiator, cracking a head light, bending the bonnet hinges - which pretty well destroyed the bonnet-

destroyed my brand new OEM grille I put in two weeks earlier and denting my ego.

I was a bit heart broken - whilst in the median strip thinking about where to next, a passerby said how nice my car was, it was a shame, etc. I was really quite down.

I spoke to my dad and he said that I should relax as it wasnt all bad... I have insurance and I will be able to do some of the repairs on the car that I had planned to do under insurance, therefore I could put some of the money I had saved towards other things.

It has been quite a long process with insurance as it all occured around Christmas time and the world seems to stop around that time in these industries... but things are finally happening.

Although not damaged, I decided there was probably a few areas that I could fix up while I was doing the repairs.

Thats when things began spiralling out of control! Hahaha.

We have decided to paint the whole car, Polaris silver again of course!

I purchased a OEM bonnet, two OEM doors, a OEM front panel section, two OEM headlight units, OEM grille, all OEM rubbers for the doors and windows, basically everything I missed out on purchasing in the BLUNT group buy... Some of it is coming in from Germany as I type - things are slowly making their way to my body shop...

Today I delivered the doors and bonnet (oh, sorry that is the hood, to you Americans :-p) to the body shop and began dismantling the car.

We pulled all the front off the car, me getting very hands on, it is amazing what you learn when you are pulling stuff to bits!

Over lunch today, I made the huge decision to delete the lower trims from the car - I didnt want to, but I thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion this is just another spot to get rust again in the future and I couldnt afford to get the trims right now any way. I will see how I go, If need be, I will get replacements for them down the track when I can afford them and fix them on with double sided tape like they do on modern cars - no rust that way.

When I left this afternoon, we are still waiting on the front nose section of the car, once that is here, it will be full steam ahead.

I removed the radiator and it will be rebuilt with a thicker core. The headlights will be upgraded with relays to put bigger brighter globes - I am resisting adding driving lights as I cant find any classic styled ones for it.

I have decided to add a thermo fan instead of the red fan - hoping to get a bit more power maybe - as well as a more efficent way of cooling the motor than the 'old red'.

The interior, although it has been retrimmed, was never actually the way I had first asked - long story - so after coming across a set of E21 Recaro's - from 'The Trading Post' again.

I plan on trimming the whole car out in charcoal with black inserts, with charcoal carpets. The charcoal is complimentary to the silver as well as something a bit different to the normal black on black... I am not 100% sure wit this yet though.

The motor has always been pretty strong. Recently I found out why... when I first came on 2002faq, I introduced myself to oz_tom, who was exceptionally helpful in answering questions and pointing me in the right direction for all things '02...

He directed me to a very highly regarded BMW expert in the middle of no where basically. I made contact with him and asked him some things about my car that he soon worked out he had done the original install of the Weber carb and a 300 degree cam, the 5 speed and a few little other things... hence why it got along so nicely!

I plan on tidying up the motor - it is a bit grubby and needs a bit of a freshen up. I recently purchased a 45DCOE Weber and a Lynx single side draught manifold to suit and I am looking forward to fitting that when I get the body all sorted.

The exterior will remain standard looking, besides the trim deletion. I was umming and ahhing about flaring the guards, but decided against it as I want to make the car look as original as possible and this is pretty well unreversable...

My plans for rims are a set of 15" BBS RS rims, or a set of Alpina 16" rims, but I am not sure... too many decisions! If I get the Alpina's I will buy an Alpina steering wheel from W'nesch in Germany also.

Other things I would like are a TEP rear strut brace/battery relocaton kit, a brake upgrade and maybe some coil overs in a few years - these a pipe dreams right now - at least Im honest, haha!

I am working on the car right now interstate and I am away from my normal computer, so I have not been able to upload any pictures of the progress.

Keep an eye for pictures.

Thanks for taking the effort to read my story...

Todd

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is me - it logged me out in the time it took me to write the post!

PB130914.JPG

This is the car as it stood a few months back at the BMWCC of Victoria's annual Show & Shine... a little tired, but still very neat and attracting a lot of great feed back.

Todd

PROJECT POLARIS - Die Wiedergeburt eines kultautos

toddsig05.jpg

My dad and I have just had a big chat about my plans for the car...

We both decided the Alpina rims are the way to go. Although I love the BBS RS rims, we both decided the Alpina's are a bit more unusual on a 2002.

Therefore, I will change my plans for the interior to be more 'Alpina-esque'. My idea is to run the E21 recaro's with black leather and thin little green and blue stitching running along the seams on the bolsters and headrest like this:

alp1.jpg

Demonstrated so nicely on this Alpina wallet. haha

With the Alpina rims, these highlights and the Alpina steering wheel, I hope to make a bit of a tribute to the original Alpina cars without actually putting any Alpina badge on the back, trying not to make it anything more than it is...

I want it to be a bit different, but not too outlandish. Maintain style and function. The lighter color interiors would be useless on my car as I am a bit of piggy. I also plan to do the E21 door pocket install - like I saw someone one here had done - the fire truck red 02 - this would mean a relocation of my speakers from the door also... probably to below the rear seat in the kick panel

Hopefully I will get the trim done before the middle of the year.

I'm excited! Although I want to keep you posted, I dont really like taking "working" pictures as I would prefer to let your imagination work it out for you until you see the final product.

/me ducks off to wallothnesch for another look at the Alpina rims and steering wheel:-P

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Pity neither of us have the cash atm to get those 16's on ebay :-( ...They went for way less than what i thought they'd go for!

But on a good note, i have a set of brand new Lucas fogs. They arent big and bulky or anything and if your interested i can pull them out of the cupboard. But they are probably going to be pricey looking at the prices on that holden website with all the fogs.

The Alpina'esque interior sounds like a great idea. Ill dig around for a pic i had of leather bolsters with cloth inserts and blue and green stripe recaros. It might be on the CD i gave you anyway...

Speak soon mate!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Thanks Tom,

I would prefer to get the headlights all right rather than add fog lights - it is the last resort basically. Although the replica Alpina'swoudl have been nice, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to that sort of thing and would prefer to get the originals with all of the right emblems, etc.

I was surprised when dad saw them he said he prefered the Alpina rims over the BBS RS. I showed him the picture of the sahara car on your cardomain page and he said he likes the black centres as it breaks it up a bit. Looking at these, I assume they are 15" also, not 16... I showed him C.J's car and he liked that too.

He told me now I have a plan for my car, I must work towards it and make some money to go with my champagne tastes! Hahaha

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Thanks Tom,

I would prefer to get the headlights all right rather than add fog lights - it is the last resort basically. Although the replica Alpina'swoudl have been nice, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to that sort of thing and would prefer to get the originals with all of the right emblems, etc.

I was surprised when dad saw them he said he prefered the Alpina rims over the BBS RS. I showed him the picture of the sahara car on your cardomain page and he said he likes the black centres as it breaks it up a bit. Looking at these, I assume they are 15" also, not 16... I showed him C.J's car and he liked that too.

He told me now I have a plan for my car, I must work towards it and make some money to go with my champagne tastes! Hahaha

Todd

Fair enough mate, I can live with replicas as with badges on the caps they look identical anyway...or you can just take the cap off and they look great still! The ones on the cardomain page are 15's. Now get back to work Mr Champagne :-P

PS: When are you back? Motorshow?

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

You will not regret buying all the new sheetmetal and rubber bits for your sweet ride.

I bought everything except the hood and trunk lid when I did mine 13 years ago and there is still not a speck of rust to be seen.

Take lots of pics to show us how it's coming along!

Good Luck,

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some of the stuff I got today...

Headlight - one more to come

Centre grille section

2x 1/4 Window rubber

2x Door rubbers

1x Front windscreen rubber

1x Rear windscreen rubber

2x Chrome windscreen infill

2x Infill joints for windscreen

rubbers.jpg

light2.jpg

light.jpg

Unfortunately I thought the group buy was already done and dusted... so I purchased them from my local - paid a fair premium for them. :-(

I also got a brand new nose section, left and right Grille sections and new nose trim last week... but forgot to take pictures.

I was hoping to have the car back on the road by next weekend for the Victorian 2002 run, but I dont think it will be complete before then... :-(

Not far off though.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

I was hoping to have the car back on the road by next weekend for the Victorian 2002 run, but I dont think it will be complete before then... :-(

oh yes it will :-P It better be!!! get to work!!!

Doug says i should arrange to cater for 15 cars....image 15 02's!!! Cant wait!!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

looks great, nice headlights. just so you know, i can get the same pricing all the time so im more than willing to take orders for any amount at anytime. keep up the good work

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Thanks mate, I will give you a yell as the project progresses... this the body stage, there are still trims, etc. that I would like to replace.

Tom, its looking less and less lickly that I will be there on Monday... I will certainly try. They start painting on Tuesday... if there is anything wrong, the time will blow out instantly with parts coming ex. Germany... I will certainly be along for the drive in some form.

Cheers,

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

To do:

Complete all external body work - fit new OEM doors, bonnet, nose section, remove trim and fill all lower strip holes, cover in right exit hole for exhaust.

Fit all new rubbers, trims etc.

Complete under body refurbishment - paint removal, attack any rust - AFAIK it is very dry - then sound deaden, respray black.

Complete interior - get dash repaired, retrim E21 Recaro's & backs to match, recarpet floors, sort out rear parcel shelf also.

I have a weapy hole in my fuel tank that I have to get fixed - now is the time - not in a week, I know I have been a bit slack!

Get a set of standard 13" steel rims and put some decent rubber on them - period correct look when I want it

Fit 45 Weber and Lynx manifold, get exhaust redirected to match the new centre exit - contemplate ANSA for a few minutes, then decide I cant afford it.

Do this all whilst dreaming of it being S14 powered with carbon fibre S14.de intake, bigger throttle body, exhaust, coil overs, brembo brakes etc...

Slowly, slowly... it will happen! Must get back to work rather than dreaming! Hahaha

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Well not much more to report except that it has blown out for another 2 weeks at least at the paint shop.

I did however get bored and put together a photoshop of what I hope it looks like.

2002ps1.jpg

Just need the wheels! Maybe cahsel.de will return my email sometime in the next year with a price!?!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg