• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-Painting

Mitch

I'm going to have my '73 painting in a short while and I'm wondering if EVERYTHING has to come out. The car is staying the same color, and I'm hoping to do the engine bay myself.I've already gutted the interior except for the dash, which I think I might keep in during paint.

What exactly needs to come out of and off of the car for paint?

You'll hear this alot...best thing to do is remove everything. All glass trim, etc. Well worth the effort, and while things are off you can inspect for rust and the starting of problem areas.

I didn't remove all the trim and glass when I had my '76 repainted, and I've regretted it ever since...wouldn't have cost that much more....just a bit more labor on my part. Gaskets are still reasonably inexpensive. trim isn't, but you can reinstall if you want - maybe polish while off the car.

What color is that?....seems too light for Atlantik unless it's faded.

Good luck,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I recommend you fill in the side marker lights on your 02. Without them, it gives it that Eurp spec look. Then replace your bug eye front turn signal lights with the flat Euro front signal lenses. I wish I had filled them in when I had my 02 reapainted ten years ago.

Everything must come off the car to include the windows, at least I did that ten years ago.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Personally I'd pull the motor too, I did not do this on my '76 and though its ok... its not great. Lots of spray can touch up.

My tii has the motor out and while its at the body shop I am cleaning/replacing parts+gaskets/detailing the motor. They will be painting the engine bay too.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

What does a good paint job cost these days, doing what's suggested, removing windows, molding etc, assuming that there's little body work needed. I'm just thinking ahead, eventually I want to repaint mine the right way, but I was going to wait a while until I have my engine rebuilt.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona