• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stupid n00b fueling question

Redtail

I recently bought a '73 2002 and every time I try to fill it with gas about a gallon spills out onto the ground and my paint. I'm in California so I have to deal with the vapor recovery boots on pump handles.

I stick the handle in to fill up like normal and it will automatically shut off after about 5 seconds so I need to keep pumping the handle. And no matter what angle I hold the handle at fuel splashes back out all over the place. Am I missing something obvious here????

i try to go to the pumps that dont have that stupid vapor thing but those are getting harder and harder to find. My trick is to only fill the tank at half speed. Dont squeeze the gas pump lever all the way, just about half way. It take abit longer but the paint is worth it. Or you could just spill on your car and then use the windshield washer sponge thing to clean your car where the gas was spilt. I have done that a number of times. I just hope the next person to use the window squeege thing after me rinses it out good! :P

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

What usually helps is to curse all the safety zealots from 1974, Raphie-boy being tops on my list. Yes, vapour recovery is a good thing. Now all they have to do is figure out how to recover the gallon of liquid and all its' vapours that we just spilled on the ground. And while we are at it, how about catalytic converters on leaf blowers and lawn mowers. Or maybe methane scrubbers on cows' butts.

What usually woks for me is to insert the nozzle and turn the handle so it is around the 8-oclock position. Then bring the handle out, away from the car body so that the nozzle points more directly down the fuel filler. As was already said, don't run the pump at full force.

There is a sweet-spot there that you should not get any splashing and the auto shut-off actually works. You will look sort of stupid there at the pump, contorting yourself over the trunk lid to look and listen at as the fuel goes in. Luckily, we get good mileage so we will not be in this position as often as you would with a big 'ol SUV.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

hand and hold the "trigger" with the other - on most pumps, holding the bellows back fakes the pump into thinking that the bellows is pressed down against the fill neck like it would be on most cars, and it will pump normally.

If you don't want to hold the bellows back, it's also possible to make a collar to hold the bellows out of a piece of aluminum plate (you definately want to use material that can't create a spark) - cut a disc slightly bigger than the diameter of the bellows collar, then cut a slot just big enough to be a snug fit over the nozzle pipe. The collar should be a tight fit against the ring on the nozzle pipe so the bellows pressure will hold it in place. Pull the bellows back, drop the collar in place and pump away (remember to take the collar with you when you're done fueling.....).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

seems as though everyone has this problem. That's somewhat of a comfort I guess. I try the 8 o'clock / half pump speed trick. I had been pulling the bellows back with one hand while pumping so I'll keep trying that. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon.

I'll pull my smog equipment off this weekend as therapy =)