• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

couple new pics 3/16/07

BLUNT

Holy shit I just read this entire blog from the beginning (1.5 hour process) and it has absolutely blown me away. You should be giving some kind of fucking award from the president of BMW or something. This is like an addicting tv show, you wanna see whats next sooo bad and can't wait for an update. Do you have any updates its been a little while?!?!?!?

-Ian

Much appreciated. -Ian

ihanrahan321 AT yahoo DOT com

1973 2002 #3638751

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy shit I just read this entire blog from the beginning (1.5 hour process) and it has absolutely blown me away. You should be giving some kind of fucking award from the president of BMW or something. This is like an addicting tv show, you wanna see whats next sooo bad and can't wait for an update. Do you have any updates its been a little while?!?!?!?

-Ian

Much appreciated. -Ian

ihanrahan321 AT yahoo DOT com

1973 2002 #3638751

-Ian

wow thanks. and you are right it has been far too long. the wife has had me jumping and my car got put on the back burner. but i told her after the first i was going back out in the garage so i can be done for V@V. i imagine she will fly down and meet me for the weekend and then fly back as her schedule is much different than mine. ive done only a few things over the last few months including swapping out the springs for ireland stage 2's and finally finished my trunk which came out pretty nice. ill snap some pics later today. ive started the stereo install and i need to track down a leak in my remote oil filter and then try to fire it.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

-Ian

wow thanks. and you are right it has been far too long. the wife has had me jumping and my car got put on the back burner. but i told her after the first i was going back out in the garage so i can be done for V@V. i imagine she will fly down and meet me for the weekend and then fly back as her schedule is much different than mine. ive done only a few things over the last few months including swapping out the springs for ireland stage 2's and finally finished my trunk which came out pretty nice. ill snap some pics later today. ive started the stereo install and i need to track down a leak in my remote oil filter and then try to fire it.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Any new pics or anything???

just a couple. i move pretty slow but this stuff takes time.

heres a shot of my trunk done except my bar isnt totally secured yet. its a chris willet carpet that he deleted the fuel tube cutout on. when i got it from chris i cut the hole for the fuel filler in the floor and did the edging on the cut. now when you remove my outside fuel cap you see an electrical plug for an onboard battery tender for winter storage

in thinking back i think i would have put the battery cutoff in a different place as if theres anything flying around in the trunk it may hit the cutoff handle. ill just make sure everythings secure. its unlikely this car will haul much anyway.

IMG_0419.jpg

and then here is the start of my LED 3rd brake light integrated into the parcel shelf. note that this is just the basic shape and i have yet to fiberglass it. it looks kind of goofy as i had to make it tall to clear the window seal but im thinking about raising the package shelf area 1/2 inch to make the height of this thing less noticeable. heres the mock up and then one of it in the car. it will be carpeted when its complete. its a 10 LED hella smoked unit. i got the smoked to try and make it less obtrusive when not illuminated

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Any new pics or anything???

just a couple. i move pretty slow but this stuff takes time.

heres a shot of my trunk done except my bar isnt totally secured yet. its a chris willet carpet that he deleted the fuel tube cutout on. when i got it from chris i cut the hole for the fuel filler in the floor and did the edging on the cut. now when you remove my outside fuel cap you see an electrical plug for an onboard battery tender for winter storage

in thinking back i think i would have put the battery cutoff in a different place as if theres anything flying around in the trunk it may hit the cutoff handle. ill just make sure everythings secure. its unlikely this car will haul much anyway.

IMG_0419.jpg

and then here is the start of my LED 3rd brake light integrated into the parcel shelf. note that this is just the basic shape and i have yet to fiberglass it. it looks kind of goofy as i had to make it tall to clear the window seal but im thinking about raising the package shelf area 1/2 inch to make the height of this thing less noticeable. heres the mock up and then one of it in the car. it will be carpeted when its complete. its a 10 LED hella smoked unit. i got the smoked to try and make it less obtrusive when not illuminated

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'm really digging that rear battery holder/brace. Any plans to powdercoat it?

Quick question for ya. Ive decided to not be lazy and redo my fuel lines. What diameter and type of line did you use? Did you just pick it up from a local autoparts store? What total length did you end up using? tia.

1990 325i

1976 2002

I'm really digging that rear battery holder/brace. Any plans to powdercoat it?

Quick question for ya. Ive decided to not be lazy and redo my fuel lines. What diameter and type of line did you use? Did you just pick it up from a local autoparts store? What total length did you end up using? tia.

im very unhappy with the rear strut brace but im going with it.it could have been a good design but it got changed along the way and i wasnt notified. in order to remove the battery you have to take the entire brace out which is no small job. remove shocks etc. i actually like the raw aluminum and had planned to leave it as is. i also moved the battery cut off switch as the way it was designed it wouldnt work. but i also put it in a shitty location looking back. oh well... the fuel lines i used were 5/16" stainless. they were a bitch to flare but aashish sent me his million dollar flaring tool and that worked nicely. i got it at summit and i got 2- 25 ft coils. sounds like a lot but i had nearly nothing left when done. i went down the drivers side with a pair of lines bent to run alongside each other and used e30 fuel line retainers. aluminum would be much easier to bend and flare.

edit, not sure if you were thinking those braided lines running up the right inner fender are my fuel lines. they are to a vapor recovery tank under the parcel tray. my fuel lines run under the car

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I assume you went stainless for aesthetics/longevity purposes. I'm kinda confused as to what needs to be flared. I thought you just terminated the metal lines a few inches from the fuel filter and fuel rail and then just used high pressure rubber hose to connect?

I like the aluminum look as well, just thought you were trying to stay away from anything racecar-ish on this build.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I assume you went stainless for aesthetics/longevity purposes. I'm kinda confused as to what needs to be flared. I thought you just terminated the metal lines a few inches from the fuel filter and fuel rail and then just used high pressure rubber hose to connect?

I like the aluminum look as well, just thought you were trying to stay away from anything racecar-ish on this build.

originally i was going to do AN lines to a modified fuel rail. but yes, i went stainless just for looks. i ended up doing just as you said ... running stainless lines to within a few inches of either termination point and i flared the ends just for a little piece of mind to prevent or make it harder for my fuel line to come off. maybe it wasnt needed but thats what i did. my lines look pretty good underneath the car but i think i should have practiced a little more. the first one was perfect but then again thats the easiest. bending the second to perfectly match the first is more challenging.

how you coming on yours and why isnt there a blog on it?

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Just ordered 2 x 25' rolls of 5/16" aluminum fuel line from Summit. Thanks for the guidance blunt.

Are these the clips you used? #8?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1113&mospid=47309&btnr=16_0301&hg=16&fg=15

Im going to have to consult you about your oil cooler setup in the near future. The logistics of using a large aluminum radiator along with a pusher fan leave no room for the OEM oil cooler in the nose where I had originally planned for it. Your setup looks perfect and 8x8 should be plenty big for the track.

Ive been taking lots of pics along the way. I'll post them all when its running. Having an unfinished car bothers me enough already, an unfinished blog would just enhance the annoyance.

1990 325i

1976 2002