• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, how much work am I in for before I can drive again???

PSloan

I'm pretty sure my clutch master cylinder is out. Today when i took my car out the brake light was on - checked the resovoir and the fluid was quite low. filled her up - drove on. When i got home i noticed my parking spot was covered with fluid. Checked it out - it was brake fluid. My master cylinder is brand new - so i figured it was the clutch master. How hard is it to change the thing by myself having never done it before? Any tips? Also, ive noted that when i pump my brakes my rpms go up maybe 50-100. Is this normal? Is the MC leaking into the brake booster and going into my intake? I don't know whats up with that. Cars always pick the worst times to crap out.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

1. Does the brake fluid level in the reservoir drop below the point where the clutch hydraulic feed line is located? If so, it's not the clutch system that's leaking.

2. Crawl under the car, located the clutch slave cylinder and squeeze the rubber boot that surrounds the pushrod--if fluid or goo oozes out, it's the clutch cylinder. They will often fail shortly after replacing the clutch M/C as they have now become the weak point in the system.

3. Disconnect the vacuum booster hose from the manifold or at the check valve...is it slimy inside? If so, your brake M/C is leaking fluid into the booster. If the brake M/C is leaking, chances are your brake pedal is low or sinking under steady application.

Happy troubleshooting

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

if it is the clutch master the process isn't that tough. sometimes disconnecting all the works behind the pedals can be a pain, but just take your time and pay attention and you should be fine.

might be a good time to freshen up the pedal box if it needs it too...but you shouldn't have to remove the pedal box if you just want to replace the MC.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Yes replace the master and slave at the same time to prevent redoing it in the near future. Also when reinstalling the clutch master reinstall the feed tube from the brake reservoir before you bolt the master to the pedal bucket.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.