• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Points collapse??

carfifti4

Or they burn? here is my problem. i replace the points on my 72. Car runs super. I gap them out to .016 .16 (whatever) Anyway, after a few hundred miles they close. It is to the point that when the engine is missing on idle, I shut her down and and she will not start until i re-gap the points.

Any help on this? Thanks............

I had a problem with a 1974 2002 I had quite a while ago, middle 1980's, where it got to the point ( no pun intended ) where I was replacing points very often. I found out that the play in the distributor shaft was too much, new points would only work for so long ( a few hundred miles, tops ) and then stalling, missing idle, stumbling would start all over again. Back then I used to go to a local BMW dealer and get a tune up kit, it came with points, rotor and a condensor and one of the german mechanics there ended up taking a look at the 2002, he then told me about the over excessive play in the distributor shaft. I bought a new Bosch distributor ( $110.00 back then ) and that took care of it. If you don't have too excessive play in your distributor and the point plate is good, make sure you're using Bosch points.

Tim

'69 2000

Vincent,

It looks like, from the Bosch USA website, that the Bosch distributor starting with numbers 0231 115 005 is used from 8/'71 on and points used are Bosch 01007. If you have to regap them often then it sounds like some part of the distributor is getting pretty worn, have someone look at your distributor and note the condition of the point plate and shaft. Remember, take off the rotor and put a couple drops of oil on the felt pad and use the specified point grease when renewing points and make sure you have the correct Bosch ignition parts related to your distributor.

Tim

'69 2000

post-238-13667560513044_thumb.jpg

It's not unusual (not the Tom Jones song!) for new points to need re-gapping after the initial installation; I usually set mine at .017 or .018 when I first install 'em so they'll settle back to a nice correct .015 or so when they're broken in.

Second point--didja put a little dielectric grease on the dizzy's cam lobes when you installed the new points.? Usta be a point set came with a little capsule of grease just for this purpose. Don't know if they do any more cause with a CD system I haven't changed points in 60-70k miles and 15 years or so.

I do know that both my car's dizzys are original with 200k+ miles and the points stay in adjustment very nicely for 40-50k or more. I'm gonna suspect you didn't lube the dizzy cam and the rpoints' rubbing block wore quickly when first installed.

Hope that's it...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite