• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel smell in car

jasonc

If the smell is coming from the trunk, better than coming from the engine compartment, you need to locate where the smell is coming from. A common area is the seam in the tank. If you smell the odor after a fill up, the seam may be the culprit. Check the tank thoroughly and see where it is coming from. Remedy with a cleaning and sealing or a new tank.

Also check fuel lines and fuel filler assembly.

By all means, make sure the smell is not coming from the engine compartment. Fuel in the engine compartment is catastrophic. Check all the fuel connections, around the filter, the carb or FI and return lines.

Secondly, the smell emminating into the passenger compartment may be caused by a defective seal around the trunk. Renew that, find and fix the source of the smell and enjoy.

Now you will only have one 02 fragrance left......aging horsehair!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Open the rear windows, the fumes get sucked straight out.

Or fix it properly - most likely fuel tank, POR-15 has a tank seal kit, it works great, simple to do (you have to pull the tank) cheaper than a new tank. Also check the tank breather hose, on mine it had moved (after some spirited driving) and was venting into the trunk. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

I bought a 75 02 with the same problem. Got it home turned out that the area behind the passanger seat was filled with fuel from a leaking fuel line. I would check that your fuel line is not cracked it runs inside the cabin.

Trying to buy back my

75 Sahara

Pertronix, 9.5:1, 294, 40mm Solex, 5 speed, MSD

seal with a closed cell foam. The open cell foam as used by the factory is what promotes rust on that seam. Get the closed cell stuff at a hardware store--it's sold as weatherstrip and is marked "closed cell foam"

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has pages of open and closed cell foam tapes and sheets with and without adhesives and everything in between. If you can get what you want locally, that is great, but don't settle for a second best solution just because that is all they have.

I got a roll of closed cell foam tape with the adhesive on one side from them to do my tank and my pedal box. I figure I have enough left to do another car and a half.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

- Don't bother with water trapping foam, use 3m Strip Caulking, its a rubbery substance that is great for sealing up that area between the tank and the body.

- I sent my tank away to get the Renu process done to it. The tank came back better than new and it won't rust again.

I'll be sending the tii tank away this winter for the same treatment.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Also, do a search on the archives. There's several accounts and good advice to be had. I've had this problem for ages, and it's taken me for bloody ever to rectify it. The last piece of my puzzle is my valve cover breather; it is blowing straight into my weber airbox assembly. This in turn is wafting a very rich smell (from the webers and exhaust) back into the cabin, especially when the car has been stopped. Prior to this, I've had my tank checcked to ensure it holds pressure, no tank boot, rerouted the breather to come out by the license plate, marine sealed fuel line now connects the tank to the pump, pump to the webers etc...50% of the 2002's I've had suffered this problem. Sometimes its an easy fix like a bad tank seam or crappy fuel lines, other times, it's more complicated. Thinks that make a huge difference:

1.) Good trunk seal

2.) Good fuel line (if it runs through the cabin--either marine or steel)

3.) Good Hood seals

4.) Sealed Tank

Email me if you get stuck

Toddman

All it takes is money