• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best restoration/conversion shop?

EricB

I have a '73 2002 that has sentimental value that needs quite a bit of body work. I am planning to have this done well and convert the car to an s14 drivetrain. Who would people recommend to have such work done and is there anyone that they would recommend to do both the mechanical conversion and the body work. I am fully aware that this is going to be expensive and have spoken to a few people already, but I would like to get some more info before having anyone start working on the car.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

Hi Eric,

As some on this board can (and do) attest to, my shop has done quite a few 2002's, with some good show winners to show for our efforts. Rusty cars, odd conversions and wild modifications dont scare us, in fact they can be fun to do!

We turned this:

Paul_Before.jpg

into this:

Paul_After.jpg

I am sure your car is something we could handle. If your'e interested in talking (even just shooting ideas back and forth) give us a call at 860 621 2002 or check out some of our work at www.sports-car-restoration.com

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

The only shop on the East coast where I would have a car restored would be the McGinn's shop. Sport Car Restoration. Look at their photo albums and you will clearly see that they have a huge knowledge of the 2002s and know how to perfectly dissect a 2002 shell.

I have known Matt since he started as an apprentice in another shop, long time ago. He never stopped impressing me with his work, and he is in a breed of worker that tends to disapear. Matt is still young but has the "spirit" of the old tin men...

sometimes, you have to drive the extra miles to get a job well done. Perhaps a whole day, towing your rolling shell is not over the top for such a project.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Guest Anonymous

If money is not at issue all three discussed on this thread are very very good shops/people. The coupeking's (PETER S.) work is beyond any expectation. I have seen many cars of his, and he is not done until he is done, many show winners and perfection at its best.

If you choose Don at The WerkShop, which is much closer than Peter, you are going to love it too. Take a look at the werkshop website, the resto he has done speaks for itself. He did one complete resto for Bobby Rahl.

The McGinns are also brothers on another level. They are always upto one facinating challenge at any given time. From the work they show us and from those who have seen what they have done in person, they will be a good choice.

There are great places in the west you might want to consider. One that was not mentioned was Ardavarc Racing in San Diego. They must be the best in the S14 conversion buisness, plus Dave the owner of the shop is a great guy you should at the very least talk to about your engine option. Then you have La Jolla independent and ofcourse & 2002Haus (Rob) both great great restorers.

Good Luck

I am in SE downtown, near Fountain Square. I went to the last BMWCCA meeting. I will get int ouch with the McGinn and I have spoken with Don. Thanks for the info and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3