• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just keeps getting sillier, the ebay tii thing does...

TobyB

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/111591484.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/111267834.html

I suppose I was making the assumption, too, that with 6 days left, it would continue to go up...

If the same car had a pair of DCOE's on it, whaddya think it'd be worth?

If the same car had a painted trunk, and other cosmetic work, and a 38/38, same question?

I suppose my point is, more finely put, that while the tii IS a nice upgrade, the limited number of parts that make it unique aren't worth the premium the cars are getting.

Or rather, the 'rest' of us should be happy that the 2002 is still such a 'deal'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-1974-TII-REBUILT-FUEL-INJECTED-MOTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34202QQitemZ4591601497QQrdZ1

But hey, I already have too many cars, so I suppose as long as everyone keeps 'em on the road and keeps buying spare parts, I'm happy.

"How to make a small fortune in racing"

Toby

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

that mere mortals can afford.

Even a 'barn find series one flat floor Jaguar XKE' might break even on parts and materials- you'd certainly never get paid much for your labor!

But to expect to actually make back better than 30% on any resto is to either be rather hopeful- or to have chosen your base car amazingly well.

Anybody wanna buy a 'barn find Datsun roadster 2000- great character?'

yeah, I rest my case!

Toby

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The car seems very nice. The price isn't so crazy, but buying it through E-Bay prob. would be crazy. I am glad that more people are willing to spend a few $$ for a nicely turned out '02.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

well sell you the cars for 15k, but dont sell me one for that much. We know the cars are worth more do you really need to prove it to your peers? do you really care enough about being able to say your car is worth a lot that you are willing to pay silly mg prices? maybe in 15 or 20 it should be different, and it probably will. but right now im enjoying the incredible bargains.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

Take it for what it is, a nicely restored 2002 from what I see. However, I don't believe anyone really thinks they can make money restoring a 2002!

I bought my '75 - 23 years ago for $5,000.00 Cdn. (about $4,300.00 U.S. based on today's rate) and restored it with a buddy in 1986! We added up the hours, amount spent on parts/paint and calculated what it would cost to pay someone to restore the car based on a rate of $65.00 per hour.

We figure it would have cost $75,000 Cdn. (or about $65,000.00 U.S. based on today's rate). Ouch! A good investment, certainly not. But that's not why we restored it.

The good news is that my friend used to professionally restore cars for a living, so technically I didn't pay for labour. Without him, I never would have taken on this project. Otherwise, the car would surely have been in the bone yard by now.

I've often wondered what it would fetch on eBay. It's not exactly what you'd call "original" but it's a solid car hell-of-alot of fun to drive!

Even though I had over 10 requests to sell my car this summer, I will never sell this car!!!

Here's a picture of what it looked like when I bought it in 1892 and a few of what it looks like today! The colour looks a little strange in the engine picture. I think being taken on a super sunny day had something to do with it!

I can't wait until winter's over!

post-668-13667560355834_thumb.jpg

post-668-13667560357516_thumb.jpg

post-668-13667560359324_thumb.jpg

post-668-13667560361_thumb.jpg

post-668-13667560362933_thumb.jpg

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

We need more trailer queens to represent the breed in order to garner interest from the people who will spend 10 to 15 grand on a really nice car. I have owned dozens of British cars, and they are rapidly increasing in value because the bad one are gone. When was the last time you saw a MG driving in the snow? And yes that was a dig directed at Madvibes!

elitist much? so by your thinking are my 2 mixed breed dogs bringing the value down on pure bred Standard Poodles and fricken Lhasa Apsos?? and if so, should i kill them both just so mr. smarmypants over here can sell his AKC Registered dogs for 2000 a piece instead of 800 bucks? F that.

my car is the biggest piece of crap you've ever seen, and i don't give two shits what you think of my driving it in snow. I bought it as a junker, drive it as a junker, do just enough to keep it running. I live in new england, snow is unavoidable.

Sure, i'd love to own a garage queen 02 at some point, but i don't have disposable income yet. so, til then, i'll get dizzy from exhaust fumes and road salt on my feet through the pedal box. take that!

dissing people for driving beat up cars is utter ignorance. especially when they like it.

Currently 02-less.

---

"There are only two mantras: yum and yuk. Mine is yum."

I have tried to make some sense and debated the same issue many times. It seems that because there are still so many 02's out there, some of them are quite "affordable". I have owned probably more than a dozen, from the $100 deal to the $20,000 gem. There is simply nothing wrong with either car, as long as we know one is a $100 2002 and the other is not and viceversa. To ridicule either on the basis of price is wrong. Some people really find virtue finding bargains, some others not. Sometimes it is a matter of convenience and the willingness to spend your own time working on the car, some of us can, some of us hate it. Now, I look at a $500 car as really a $10,000 car because that's what is going to take to bring it to the level of performance, comfort and aesthetics that I am willing to settle for.

However,when I go to the car meets I marvel at ALL 02's, all of them driven to the show, from the rust buckets to what appears to be a garage queen. It is simply amazing that this car can appeal to such a range of people. Sometimes I find it very interesting that some of the "lesser" cars can really kick ass and probably out run some of the other more beautiful ones.

But to be stuck in one's narrow view is wrong, the beauty of these cars is their diversity. If you can't see why another car may be worth more than 10,000 and yours isn't shows great deal of shortsight or perhaps envy, alternative I would encourage all those that are keeping those rusty 02's alive to keep driving them with pride because you still own a fine automobil, and as unique to you as everybody else's 02!

FAQ Member # 91

I would rather see a dozen mediocre condition '02s on the road rusting away than one pristine example stored away in some heated garage or museum. Sure, they do clean up nice, but staring at a 2002 will never produce a smile as big as driving it will.

A mindset that driving rusty examples on the road is holding prices back is just stupid. If anything, these cars provide exposure that those ridiculous garage queens would otherwise never receive. More exposure, more potential enthusiasts, more $$$.

And hasn't it already been said many times that the worst thing you can do to a 2002 is not drive it?

Jason

1974 Malaga 2002 daily driver

Absolutely great thread, just looking at an 02 will make me smile, but I grin from ear to ear when I pass the new mustang through the corner. (ok, he catches up quickly in the straight). The charm, I think is in the handling characteristics of the little cars. I constantly ask myself why I love these little flying bricks so much and answer myself when passing cars that are 35 years newer through the corners. I am not opposed to paying for a well prepared car and believe the market decides the value of everything.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

And hasn't it already been said many times that the worst thing you can do to a 2002 is not drive it?

Which is exactly why I drive the shit out of my car every day! I live for on/off ramps! Mine is not a "Garage Queen" except in the winter... hehe!

post-668-13667560382332_thumb.jpg

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR