• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about rear bumpers

I've got a '72 with the bumper that wraps around the side. I prefer the early style though. Is it possible to swap the corner pieces or do I need to source a full bumper?

I believe the profile differs between the pre 71 & post 71 bumpers, so may not fit together right.

And, as noted by bergie33, your long-ended '72 bumper should have the rubber bump strip on; when removed it will either have holes or slots on show. The pre 71 bumpers had no rubber strip, so, no holes/slots.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Attached are photos of a 1969 and a 1972

there will be holes to fill for longer extension going forward

the  strip is the problem  If you want short bumpers it’s probably best to expect you will need body and paint and complete early bumpers

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

AFAIK the chrome center rear bumper sections for 02s are the same.  The only difference is that the modell 71 cars have holes to mount the rubber strips, while the earlier cars don't have 'em.  

The ends come in long and short styles, the longer ones also having holes for the rubber bump strips, and the bumper guards meant for modell 71 cars have cutouts to accommodate the rubber strips, which are a single piece from end to end, and thus pass under the guards.

If you want to use short ends with a rubber-strip equipped center section, you can cut the rubber strip so that it ends at the bumper guard and doesn't extend to the end sections.  That's what the factory did for the front bumper.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite