• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uniquely odd flasher issue

My flasher on the dash went out but both turn signals were working.  I did have a ground issue with the front left signal that fixed by re-setting it in the fender.  

During the restoration, the flasher relay was replaced with a 3-prong relay with wires with spades going to the plug.  I went ahead and found what I believe was a NOS item, part # 61 31 1 365 609, from egerman parts selling on eBay.

Plugged it in, Dash flasher is back.  E Flashers work.  Right Turn Signal works.  But Left Turn Signal is out both front and rear.  Am I back to the ground issue again.  What is the best way to wire a ground for the Front Turn Signal.  I have the MVP flush Euro signals with stock bulbs, so no running lights are wired.  

Try replacing the mounting screws for the front turn signal housings with stainless steel screws--as those screws are the only grounds for the front turn signals and parking lights.  

If that doesn't work, run a ground wire from the bulb housing bracket down through the wire grommet in the fender and fasten the wire to a good ground in the engine compartment. 

But I'll bet new mounting screws will do the trick; I've never had to run a separate ground for either of my cars in 50+ years--and lots of road salt and rust.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

does sound like a ground issue on left side. since flasher works, left side may be grounding through the flasher to a ground on right side. 

mounting with stainless screws is a good idea. i also have mvp flush mounts and found the mvp bulb grounds to be worse than oe because the power rail tab is too compliant.  also dont love the shape of the punched holes for the bulb bases.

as mvp often revises their products i may have an older design and yours may not suffer same defects, but ultimately i rebuilt the mvp power rail tab with parts from some older aftermarket US spec housings i had laying around from a po.

IMG_1242.thumb.jpeg.6808476d775024e3ad8a6af1cdb16b3a.jpeg

IMG_1243.thumb.jpeg.6a6f14f1270e11517a66acf79d9ae844.jpeg

Edited by Howardpowered

Quick Update:  1. Resolved the Left Turn Signal Ground Issue.  When I was resetting the left front trunk signal, the script showed W Germany.  (Is the W for Wilhelmine?) I had forgotten that I snapped a power rail off of the MVP unit and for less than replacing it, I bought a pair of original items from Seb.  No running lights was another give-away.

2.  The Flash on the Dash only works on the right side and with the emergency blinkers.   So, I assume that there is something still amiss with the electrical current.   

Important thing is that I have the external left blinker.  Any thoughts on the blinker nicht only on the left?

11 hours ago, David Layton said:

The Flash on the Dash only works on the right side and with the emergency blinkers. 

Turn your emergency flashers on and see if any of the four corners are noticeably dimmer than the other three.  If you have a poor connection (hot or ground) on one bulb, it can affect the little double relay inside the flasher unit.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I was able to create a sufficient ground to cause proper function, but it would not work with the flasher unit mounted correctly, so I made a 6" ground cable and will screw it into the body in the flasher cavity (don't dwell on that image) and find a spot on the flasher that works and attach it there.  Should be a good final fix.