• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint on fender bolts?

Go to solution Solved by tzei,

Should fender bolts be painted with the car…were they originally? Feels like they would have been with fender being already brazed on at the factory? 

Any other bolts that I don’t need to remove or mask before paint? I don’t want it to look sloppy with how much I am spending on paint! 

This one and my last one had had a cheapo paint job since 1974 so everything is inka currently!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I very strongly dislike painted fasteners as it looks like shoddy workmanship and opted not to paint them on my project..... however, yes, they were painted from the factory.

Agreed. I did not know they were painted originally! I thought that was another product of my bad respray. I mean .. because it was at least the 2nd coat, I had to pop the paint off to get the correct wrench on them 😕 

My plan on repaint is to clean and black oxide all the fasteners.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Mask the hood lock down bar with its plastic mounts and cable wheel.   Also the brass fixtures and little adjustable plastic buffers found on the inside of the hood.   While you are at it, mask the shroud for the wiper motor, strut bearing tops with nuts,  and the front head light buckets and mounts.    Under hood sloppy prep with overspray haunts you for the life of your ownership.  

• Like 3

I have removed all the wiper stuff and was contemplating just removing all of the hood lockdown stuff as well. Glass is out and all door hardware too. Will wrap the top of struts and nuts and bolts for them as well. 

1 hour ago, JQ02 said:

I removed everything. Still need to remove the VIN tag and some sound deadening.

All those parts were sprayed over by PO (or PPO) so I need to clean them up.

image.thumb.jpeg.380f92ec4222cd183ed51ad1be76cb98.jpeg

Any tricks to get the lock down rod and spring out and in? I didn’t take it off on my last one and should have. Looks a little intimidating to replace?

8 hours ago, bergie33 said:

It's a lot easier with the heater box out.

Sorry @Highnote1 I had my heater box out, too. As Karl said, it takes some finagling even with the heater box out. It doesn't look like it will be that bad to put the rod back in and re-assemble. I'm not sure if you can 'drop' the heater box without removing the hoses, so that probably becomes a larger task. 

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

3 minutes ago, JQ02 said:

Sorry @Highnote1 I had my heater box out, too. As Karl said, it takes some finagling even with the heater box out. It doesn't look like it will be that bad to put the rod back in and re-assemble. I'm not sure if you can 'drop' the heater box without removing the hoses, so that probably becomes a larger task. 

I am taking the box out too for refurbishment or trash depending on if I bite the bullet and put in ac. Hurricane unit, it will stay out, and ice ac, I would have to refurbish. I hate that thing. 

I have confidence my paint is going to be epic and it’s hot as hell in Dallas. I would drive more with ac. 

Anyone have a source for an AC Tii pulley?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:
17 minutes ago, JQ02 said:

I am taking the box out too for refurbishment or trash depending on if I bite the bullet and put in ac.

Oh. Good. Yeah. I'm looking at AC. I'm hoping I can use the smog pump side of the pulley.. I think I have an unused pulley slot.

I'm leaning towards restomodair or Vintage. I'm going to order mockup boxes and see what looks like it'll fit. I'm doing a turbo, so I'm hoping I can sort out a bracket and turbo plumbing and mount the compressor.

Yeah. I would def do AC for Dallas.

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

my paint is going to be epic 

there is something about this combination of words that

kind of cracks me up...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL