• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone using this cordless battery smoke machine?

I was thinking about buying this cordless smoke machine made by Autoline. I am trying to find false air coming in on 84 m10b18 L-Jetronic that is causing a high idle. Anyone else using this machine?  Here is the link:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy AutoLine Pro Ventus Automotive Smoke Machine with Built-in Li-Ion Battery, Air Compressor, Leak Size Flowmeter, OEM Approved Smoke Fluid, Cone Cap Plugs – EVAP Vacuum Exhaust Leak Detector Tools Kit: Fuel Leak Detectors - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on...

Yeeps- not at that price!

Smoke's the trendy new (ok, not so new, just becoming popular)

to find air leaks in intake tracts.  It's a useful tool, but for older 

non- DI cars, it doesn't simulate the vacuum the intake experiences.

I have a $50 smoke pot off ePay and an air regulator, and it does well enough...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A smoke machine is a very useful tool for a shop, mine has always had a couple of different ones----a higher-pressure one for finding boost leaks in turbocharged engines, and a low-pressure one for finding leaks in the evaporative emission control system for modern cars.

Since the average hobbyist probably won't use a smoke machine very often, you and a friend or two could split the purchase and pass it around as needed.

As for your 318i L-Jet engine, unmetered air usually causes a rough, low idle versus a high idle, but smoke testing is always a good idea. Remember to smoke-test the crankcase of the 318i engine----a cracked breather hose or even a missing oil dipstick seal can cause idle issues.

• Like 3

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff