• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCOE 40 on stock motor

Long story short, I have a stock motor with the original single barrel solex on it. I have a set of Italian dice 40’s and an Ireland side draft manifold and all the things to make it work. I know I don’t need it but can someone give me an ideal jetting prescription for a stock motor. I checked all the jetting on the carbs and they are included below. If it were you and you had all the parts in front of you and a “why not” attitude, what jetting would you do to get you in the ballpark/ running well. 

Stock exhaust IE shorty header, everything else stock. 

Current jetting in pictures. Plan is to clean and jet the carbs before instal. 

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

What Tom said.

ESPESYALLY about the wideband oxygen meter.

And a synchrometer.

But what you have is certainly in the ballpark, if not in the infield.

You may (or may not) need to make any changes, but what you 

have will get you started and running just fine.

t

synchrometer.png

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

51 minutes ago, RoccoGilroy said:

Any recommendations on an air fuel gauge? There’s a million kits out there and just don’t want to end up with junk.

I like the dial-style gauges, as opposed to flashing digits.  That narrows the options and I have not shopped for them recently, but a name brand like Innovate or AEM should be fine.

I use mine all the time, while out driving around.  It's especially fun to watch on hill climbs to see how much gas I can give before it drops below twelve.

If I was spending more of your money, I'd get a variable advance timing light as well.

I have a twelve year old Innovate AFR gauge and Innova 5568 timing light purchased at the same time.  Both are still functioning fine.

Tom

• Like 1

Ya I’ve been down the sidedraft rabbit hole before a couple times. Mikuni 44’s, 45 151 dcoe’s. Always had problems getting things dialed and consistent. But here I am again and most of the parts are sitting in front of me. This time I’m determined to do it properly and give myself the best chance of success. My newest project still has a single barrel solex on it and it’s dangerously slow. lol. The motor that’s in it is probably tired but I have a good spare if this sidedraft project goes sideways. 

I’ve got Hal’s linkage system, 2 Italian model 18 DCOE 40’s, proper water neck divider, coolant bypass hose, Ireland manifold, and a Tii booster. Really just need a new set of hoses and I should be all set… I figure most of the trouble I had back in the day was due to crappy linkage so I bought the best set up I know of. Just want to make sure I have these carbs jetted and functioning tip top so I can do it all in one shot! 

Planning planning planning

Rocco

Here is the Weber Carbutetor Jetting specifications D7B8EA58-A155-4182-8C3D-5DAFD0E7E2F5.thumb.jpeg.2a8e75c880bdbf43feeb7db96c9c118d.jpegfrom the MOTORTECH performance manual published by Phil Dermer  12/5/73

Stock 1600 with Weber 40 DCOE 19s

Main jet.  115

Air corr.    200

Idle jet.     50F8

Choke, main. 30mm

Pump jet.   35

Accelerator pump discharge jets #70

Fuel pressure regulator set at 3.5 psi max.

Float level setting of 7.5mm from float to carb

For throttle linkage my personal preference is the BMW TiSA/ti center pull set up that uses the standard throttle rod (see Hal’s 2002Only ads on FAQ.)

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 2

I have an AEM AFR that I like very much. Just have it in a gauge pod and tucked in the corner.

It has enough slack in the wires so I can set it up on the dash while trying to tune my DCOE'S.

IMG_5062.thumb.jpg.8a937ab87efd8b8aea2d7344a0ded37c.jpg

Appears I need to dust my interior. 🙁

Edited by jp5Touring
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Flunder said:

Now that I think of it, do you have a 2 liter in your 1600? And a 292 cam? Check the alternative  specs for STOCK 2002

If you are familiar with my 68 1600 then you may know that it is currently on the sales block. That car has a 2.0L, yes with 38/38. Runs like a champ. 

However…

I have recently acquired a 1 owner Atlantik Blau 1970 2002 with 170,000 well documented miles. The numbers matching motor is long gone unfortunately. In its place is a 2.0L with an E12 head. I have not done any work to it or even pulled a spark plug to check what pistons are in it. The VIN stamp on the block is filed off and has been marked “X     X”

I assume it is an early factory remanufactured block. The original owners (who actually live in my neighborhood) overheated the car sometime in the 80-90’s and thought that the head was replaced and that the original block was still present. The car was left at a BMW specialty shop (Lobo’s) in Sacramento for a few years where the motor was worked on and eventually found its way back to the original owners. Apparently when it overheated, the $ it cost to fix it was to great and the shop kept the car for a time but to my knowledge never changed hands officially on paper. 

In any event, the motor appears to have been swapped during this time in its history. It still has its original single barrel solex and is extremely untouched/modified. So much more details I’d like to share but this is not the post for that. When the 1600 is officially out the door I will post a more thorough introduction of my new car. For now I’ll share a few pics. Trying to give the old girl a little pep and some much needed maintenance. It will be interesting to see how the old motor reacts to sidedraft. 

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1654.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

• Like 3