• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How door lock mechanism works

Hello everybody.  I need a bit of help, please.  I have nice clean locks and door handles, and the locking mechanisms inside of the doors are equally clean and move freely.  When I turn the key, the doors don’t actually lock, though.  I think they may need to be adjusted so the actuation of the key moves the mechanism properly.    

Articulating the problem and the question in a way that is intelligible is the hard part.

So…. Turning the key moves the sort of flag-shaped piece at the end of the lock, which is supposed to actuate the locking mechanism by pushing on a square C-shaped part high up on the mechanism.  I don’t think the “flag” is contacting the C part in the right place.  There’s no way this flag can make contact on both outside surfaces of the C part of the mechanism.  I think I need a drawing or a video to explain how this works.

Can anyone help, please?  I’d love to be able to lock the car.

Pictures would help immensely.  Those locks are (unnecessarily?) complicated; there's a lot of monkey motion between pulling/pushing the inside/outside handle and the lock unlatching itself.  I've never actually had one fail/wear out, but I suppose it's possible. Clearances on those innards are pretty tight, and unless something's been forced or a spring came off (and was repositioned in the wrong place) it should work.

One caveat:  did these latch mechanisms actually come from a 2002?  Those used on an E21 (320i) look very similar, but the outside handle works backwards from an 02.  On a 320 you pull the outside handle to open the door; on an 02 you push the button to open the door.

mike

PS--after a lot of playing around with the mechanism I figured out how to convert the lock assembly so you can slam lock the door without using the key...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks.  So how does this work in combination with the “flag” at the end of the lock cylinder?  I know the door should lock turning the key to the rear, and unlock turning to the front.  I guess it makes contact on the inside of the C to go in one direction and the outside to go the other.  Clueless…. Thanks.

Make sure that the post on the door jamb is set at the proper depth.

In some conditions the door will close and stay latched, but will not lock.

I had this happen and then realized that the post was not allowing for the 'second' click of the latch mechanism so it could lock.

• Like 1

Bergie and Aldo are correct, the door must be fully latched before the key lock will engage the "C" shoe.

With the door open you can throw the latch fully and see if the lock mechanism will engage. Unlock and push the release button before you close the door....  did that, you don't want to.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

The “flag” should hit the “C” in the inside of the profile such that when you unlock the  cylinder the flag pushes the C up and when you lock the cylinder it pushes the C down. 

I’ve seen the “flag” installed backwards on the lock cylinder such that it does not contact the mechanism correctly. It should be aiming toward the back of the car, not the front. If all that is in order, everything should line up and work when you install it. 

B0C30EFE-618D-4817-8DAA-1EE5A82F9345.jpeg.dfae7f1bd5316a0e6f0d043c504ae7ae.jpeg

6 hours ago, -PORSCHE- said:

I know the door should lock turning the key to the rear, and unlock turning to the front.

Sure? IIRC, it unlocks to the rear and locks to the front. Is your flag pointing to the rear as shown in that one pic above?

IMG_0927.jpeg.22a02f0782ac08ade8f707b62c4928e9.jpeg.9b1b790c3e0425b3735f1c0d5bb9927a.jpeg

The "blue" bolt should be the one to remove to slam lock the door.

henn

So, it always seems to be the simplest thing that gets in the way.  As it turned out, Lucky7 was right and my lock actuators were installed backwards, i.e., pointing forward.  Flipped them over and lo and behold, my doors lock just fine.  Thanks for all the help! 

2 hours ago, -PORSCHE- said:

my lock actuators were installed backwards, i.e., pointing forward.

Those exterior door assemblies are mirror images, and it's easy when disassembling/reassembling one to use the other as a model...been there, done that 😉.  One of many learning curves on 2002s

mike 

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite