• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 38 question

TodB
Go to solution Solved by TodB,

I'm in the process of fine tuning my Weber 38. I've read most of the weber 38 related posts here and have found them very helpful. I've recently swapped out the 45 idles for 50s. When I pulled them, I expected that one would be small and the other large but both were small. Is that OK or should I make one of them large? Which one?

The 32-36 uses a small jet on the secondary side and a large one on the primary IF it has an idle cut off solenoid. (on the primary side)  Otherwise, they're both the small style.

The 38-38 doesn't use a cut off solenoid.  It'd need two, if it did.  So the jets should be small, assuming I am understanding your question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

So the jets should be small, assuming I am understanding your question.

and both the same? size on a 38-38.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Just so I am clear, I am using the same jet sizes on both sides, 50s right now. My question is the physical size. On my old 32/36, one side had a larger jet then the other. The jet holders were slightly different. When I pulled the 45s from the weber 38, they were both small. 

Edited by TodB

11 minutes ago, jimk said:

and both the same? size on a 38-38.

That's my guess, but I've never owned one.  That being the case, maybe I should have let someone else answer.

2 minutes ago, TodB said:

On my old 32/36, one side had a larger jet then the other. The jet holders were slightly different. When I pulled the 45s from the weber 38, they were both small. 

You can buy a jet holder for the 32-36 that replaces the cut-off solenoid and that holder uses the larger jet (like the solenoid).  The diameter of the threaded portion of the solenoid is larger than the standard jet holder, so you cannot just use a small jet if you delete the solenoid.  ((Mike Self has a rare and special cut off solenoid that takes the small jets, but it's the only one I've ever heard of)).

That should explain the two sizes in a 32-36.  It's different than the 38-38.  Matching small jets makes sense to me, but as I mentioned to Jim, I'm only guessing and sharing what I know about my carb.

Pierce manifolds has awesome exploded views and list all of the parts.  Looking at the 38-38, both jets (#34) are the same size (small).

WWW.PIERCEMANIFOLDS.COM

Weber carburetor,Intake Manifolds, Conversion Kits, Air Filters, Linkages,Everything you need for your new or vintage ride!

38DGES.png

Their both the same size on the 38/38 because both barrels open at the same time where the 32/36 is a processive carb. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944