• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omg…wiper removal!

Go to solution Solved by Highnote1,

I have searched and have even done this on my 76 a few years ago. Do I push the clip towards the passenger side and just pull up on the arm? I cannot get them to come up past a point on either side. The clip moves over but they will not pop off. 
Any tips?

23 minutes ago, VWScott said:

My guess is rust.

Close it's the corrosion caused by steel against aluminum, but penetrating oil will help. It's been awhile since I pulled the arms off but if I remember right the clip needs to be pulled out, there's a small foot that engages under the aluminum part. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I just did this a couple weeks ago. I found the clip is more of a friction fit than a hard stop and I didn't need to manipulate it while taking on/off. If you take a 3/16" or 1/4" thick piece of wood like used on baseboards and a largish slotted screwdriver you can use the wood to protect the paint just below the front window and create a small gap under the wiper attachment point that you can pry against. Turning the screwdriver blade so it just catches the lip of the wiper next to the little slotted stub thing popped it off easily. Up until I tried this I was frustrated just like you 🙂

Edited by Deuce
  • Thanks 3

But will that work on an 02 wiper arm?

And if it’s tight it pops out hard so be ready catch it. Some towels etc saves the paint.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

More oil, then try wiggling it with the wiper arm pulled away from the window into the standing position.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944