• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fog lights in spoiler

I am interested in running fog lights but would like to run them in the ducting cutouts in the IE front air dam. As I dont have the air dam yet I was curious if anyone has done this and is it possible to use either a round or a rectangular housing. I already have the aux driving lights mounted through the grille and want the fog lamps to be low.In addition I am running a Euro bumper on my '76. Thks much

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

I believe the IE airdam is a clone of the Zender one. Those two circular openings in the front are only ~60mm diameter.

So you’ll need to find a set of really tiny fog lights. And you’ll need to fabricate a mount onto either the back of the airdam or to your lower front sheet metal - there’s nothing structural behind the airdam there to mount to.

Those openings were likely intended for brake ducting vs. lights…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

So you’ll need to find a set of really tiny fog lights.

I've seen some very small LED fog/driving lights on newer vehicles, so they do exist.  60mm is about 2 1/2 inches so you may be able to open the duct out to 3 inches, which is what these small lights appear to be.   But you'll definitely have to fabricate some sturdy mounts for 'em--nothing more distracting than wiggling auxiliary lights when using 'em at night.

mike

PS--you're losing a significant percentage of your driving light lumens by mounting 'em behind the grille.  Several FAQ posters have duplicated the factory fog light mounts that fasten to the hood support brackets behind the grilles, and protrude through 'em to provide a good sturdy mount for driving or fog lights just in front of the grille--very useful if you don't have a front bumper.

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My aux lights are not mounted behind the grille. The bracket from I bought from Pierre mounts behind the grille and the lights are in front. I may mount them(fog) to bottom side of bumper,that solves two issues-they are lower and at least secure.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

Both molded thermoplastic airdams I have from Ireland engineering have larger rectangular

duct holes that then 'NACA' down to round.  But they're from quite some time ago, now.

So yes, rectangular fog lights would fit pretty well into those openings.  Since it's thermoplastic, 

you could even weld to the backside of it, and make some pockets.

This one:

Or, I guess, stuff little round lights into the recessed hole, if that's more your biscuit.  

But the structure you'd have to add to make them useful would be significant, since there's

nothing within a foot of that particular point in space.  And then, nom nom nom, rocks and gravel oh my!

The one on my somewhat racey car is sandblasted, painted, reblasted, and painted again such that

it rather resembles the surface of the moon.  Better for the boundary effects, say I.

Wouldn't seem to be a good angle for light, but then, I've never tried it.  Yes, technically, the 'fog' lights

on the E46 are almost that low, but they're frosted beyond any flake that Tony ever said was grrrreat.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I used a piece of flat stock aluminum piece and bolted it to the bottom of the brake duct opening after cutting out the back of it. I've had them on there for over a year with daily driving with no issues.