• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter window lock knob

That appears to be from a squarelight car.  There are actually three different rear quarter window locking mechanisms used on 2002s:  all chrome ones (including the knob) used up to VIN 2587400, then chrome latches with a black knob, used on the remainder of Roundies and at least some early squarelights, then an all-black one (brackets and knobs) like yours. I'm sure a search on the FAQ parts for sale, plus a post in the parts wanted section should turn one up.  

Presuming you have the other half of the hinge that's attached to the body, what you need is a carriage bolt whose square shank will fit (or can be made to fit) in that square opening on the lower flange of your hinge.  Then find a wing nut with the same threads as the carriage bolt and at least you can latch the window closed without a zip tie.  That'll keep you going until you find the proper part.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, Mike Self said:

That appears to be from a squarelight car.  There are actually three different rear quarter window locking mechanisms used on 2002s:  all chrome ones (including the knob) used up to VIN 2587400, then chrome latches with a black knob, used on the remainder of Roundies and at least some early squarelights, then an all-black one (brackets and knobs) like yours. I'm sure a search on the FAQ parts for sale, plus a post in the parts wanted section should turn one up.  

Presuming you have the other half of the hinge that's attached to the body, what you need is a carriage bolt whose square shank will fit (or can be made to fit) in that square opening on the lower flange of your hinge.  Then find a wing nut with the same threads as the carriage bolt and at least you can latch the window closed without a zip tie.  That'll keep you going until you find the proper part.  

mike

Thanks for the tip. Yes the other part is still attached. I'll try to find a carriage bolt that fits until I find the correct replacement part.

My car is in for paint hence why the windows are removed.