• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering locked problem

mike472
Go to solution Solved by mike472,

Had to take lock cylinder out of steering column because key stopped worked. Figured it was a worn key so I got key code to locksmith and had him make a key. That failed to work in ignition lock cylinder.  I had been starting the car with a screwdriver in the interim and when I went to turn the car off with screwdriver the lock wouldn’t turn and then the steering locked up. I can’t budge the lock either way.  The ignition light stayed lit and car was running even though key switch was turned to the off position. I had a battery cutoff switch so I was able to turn off power but ignition switch is still on. I had a spare lock which I tried putting in to see if a good lock cylinder would turn it but no good. Is my steering lock broken?  Have a spare steering column but it’s a bitch to change. Is there something I’m missing here?  Maybe bad ignition switch jamming it somehow?  Haven’t take it out yet. Figured I’d ask here first to see if anyone has an idea what’s going on before I took that off

image.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

16 minutes ago, jimk said:

Lock stuck even when wiggling the steering wheel?

That's the first thing I'd try.  The electrical portion of the assembly (the switch) has nothing to do with the steering column lock, but it could be jammed, which would account for the ignition to still be on.  Since you have the battery disconnected, try removing the switch and see if that releases the steering column lock.  

And if you need a little help on the key lock portion of the assembly, I did a column on troubleshooting/repairing a jammed lock assembly.  PM me for a copy.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike

I tried jiggling the steering wheel.  I knew that trick but it didn't work.  I'll try taking the ignition switch off the back.  If that doesn't work I have a spare steering column with a good steering lock assembly and key.  I tried taking that cylinder and putting it into the steering column thinking maybe one of those tabs might have to be pushing something in the column lock to release it.  That didn't work either.  I will PM you for your writeup.  Not anxious to change the steering column if I can avoid it.

Thank you!

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• Solution

Got the steering lock to let go.  Driving with the lock cylinder out caused the piece that you see in the picture to back out of it's bore and cock sideways and jam the steering lock and the switch.  Once I took the ignition switch off the back it unlocked.  It took a little jiggling and the steering unlocked.  I looked at a spare steering column I had out turning it upside down I saw how that inner rotating piece has a blade that engages the ignition switch.  Once this comes out of it's hole you have to guide it back in.  This is easy with the ignition switch removed.     I put a working lock cylinder back in and then the switch behind it and all was good.  Moral of the story is:  Don't drive your car around with the lock cylinder out using a screwdriver for a key.    I only was going a short way and it happened when I stopped and tried to shut the car off.  This could have locked up on me while I was driving which might have been an accident.  As I mentioned, this happened at my friends shop and they couldn't move the car because the key wouldn't work.  It was easy to pop out the lock cylinder there and get it unlocked.  I shouldn't have driven it but I wanted to work on it in my own shop.

• Like 2

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318