• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help planning a complete re-assembly

rjd2

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

For the dash, there are 2 screws that go in the back under the glass. HOWEVER almost no one reinstalls those 2 screws, so if you don't use those 2 screws you can install the dashboard after you install the glass.

+1.  Unless you really hate the person who buys the car after you, leave those screws out. 

The dash will be held very securely by the windshield gasket, so it will not rattle.  You will be taking the dash in and out as you finish up wiring, so you will curse those screws if you mistakenly put them in before the windshield.

• Thanks 1

thanks for the help. all these tips are great. yes, i will do the new headliner before glass, learned the hard way on my '76. 

while i have the front subframe out, should I send the steering gear out for reconditioning? and if so, who does that? since i'm starting from scratch, i am intending to make this car as close to perfect as I can.

PS-front and rear windshield is a long way away, but i managed to install these by myself on my last car. for those following along that may be doing similar work, i can detail that procedure if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the front subframe out, and mostly disassembled. What do I need to know about removing the strut insert? I have the lower ball joint removed, and each side's hub/spring assembly on its own. I am replacing them with a bilstein sport system, and want to take the springs out safely. thanks.

Since you have a lift, I would try putting the engine/trans assembled on  the subframe and dropping the car down from above when the time comes.   I don't have a lift, and even with a buddy, dropping  the engine/trans in with a hoist was a big headache. 

Edited by johnny02

I set the engine on the ground with the subframe removed.  Then the car needs only to be jackstand height once the engine is layed on it's side with manifolds removed.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

12 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Stock springs will require a spring compressor to safely disassemble, most auto parts stores will have them to rent for a few bucks a day.

Your post reminded me that I have 'rented' spring compressors from O'Reilly Auto several months ago and forgot to bring them back.  Their policy is to charge for the tool up front, then give you 100% back when you return it.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, slowbert said:

Ultimately, these are very, very simple cars

I'm going to start taking mine apart for engine rebuild, blast and paint at the end of December. I just started typing out my plan last night. I was thinking that very thing! I was doing the mental exercise of what it would take to do same on my (former) 335i convt :DThey are no longer simple.

Edited by JQ02

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024