• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter motor mounting bolt lengths

James Laray

I replaced the starter on my 69 2002.  I have the intake manifold out and thought "since I have the patient open".   The existing starter is aged and sounds weak.  I am using the  two long bolts that I removed.  They are 3 inches long.  Upon reinstall, I note they are just long enough to receive the nuts, but upon tightening the nuts with the washer, the bolt threads don't extend out of the nuts.   I can tighten them.  Doesn't seam right though.  What am I missing?   Does the thin washer sit at the bolt head, with a lock washer at the nut end?   Should I use thread lock as well? 

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

Edited by James Laray

34 minutes ago, James Laray said:

What am I missing? 

Nothing, that bolts too short.

Maybe that M30 starter you are installing has thicker mount flanges?

Scrounge a longer bolt or head to ACE hardware for a new one.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Get 5mm or10mm longer bolts, thin flat washer on the trans side and a wave washer on the starter side, no loc-tite needed IMO.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

RealOEM calls for 2 M10 x 75 and 1 M10 x 80 Bolts for the starter install.  There is a M10 wave washer on the trans side and a M10 Wave washer and nut on the starter side.  No need for lock-tight.  Check BelMetric for the proper fasteners.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)