• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 E21 steering rack swap questions and details.

3lack Sheep

I found a mk1 VW Rabbit steering rack which has an inner tierod width of 20.63" which is much shorter than the E21's approx. 23 inches, and it is a rear steer rack too. The rack has threaded ends so I might even be able to shorten each side a little more to get even closer to the 19.5 inch control arm width of the 2002. Although only a half inch longer on each side really doesn't sound bad. I'm going to continue looking, but that VW rack is really looking like a winner! 

• Like 1

I read somewhere that mk1 VW rack measurement didn't include the joints so it's approx 22 inches wide. 

I called flaming river today out of Ohio and they have a 5 inch cut down version of their OMNI manual rear steer rack that is on the money at 19.5" I will have to machine extensions/ adapters to get the correct length tierods, but that'll be easy to figure out. It is NOT on their website. The price I was quoted was $575 and a one week build time. 

I'm pretty sure this is the route we're headed. 

• Like 1

I like the direction you're going. Finding the right length rack is step 1. Then pay attention to ratio and figure out what length turning arms suit your use. It would be great if you don't need to modify them but I'm afraid they have to be shortened. Question is how much? It's not good if they're very short. I bought quick ratio rally parts for the Opel rack - track use only for me. That shows in steering effort, when going to semi slick I had to get electric power steering.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

3 hours ago, 3lack Sheep said:

I read somewhere that mk1 VW rack measurement didn't include the joints so it's approx 22 inches wide. 

I called flaming river today out of Ohio and they have a 5 inch cut down version of their OMNI manual rear steer rack that is on the money at 19.5" I will have to machine extensions/ adapters to get the correct length tierods, but that'll be easy to figure out. It is NOT on their website. The price I was quoted was $575 and a one week build time. 

I'm pretty sure this is the route we're headed. 

thanks for keeping this thread up to date! It would be great to get a repeatable rack and pinion solution going for the 2002 and not only for K swaps. The idea of spending a thousand bucks on a rebuild of the stock box or gambling on a used one is less appealing to me then putting a tighter feeling, more modern steering technology in the car. A kit would be awesome. I know I am being overly simplistic about this but if the muscle car guys can do it then we should be able to as well, right? 😄