• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding car to 02 Registry

Tomme2002Tone
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

ok - glad I followed up. Still hard to believe it’s Chamonix but….

“Thank you for your reply.

I checked the number and found that indeed the original colour was Chamonix (BMW paint code 085). The "8" looks very much like a "2" in the handwritten delivery book but there is a different source (difficult to access and again handwritten) which states "cham." As the colour.”

Get a hold of '0nly02' (Chris Willett) at Sin City Bmw, Las Vegas. He had the car around 2007? and I believe it was him that painted the car Imola Red with Black roof. He may have a little history on it for you.

16607821a.thumb.jpg.fc8d3be58f705f56b385b7c9dcbd30aa.jpg

Edited by 02Les
added pic
  • Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

A 17 April 1968 production date is very early...US spec cars didn't start to roll off the line until sometime in February, and were made in penny numbers--and in dribs and drabs--throughout 1968.

In 1968 and '69, Our favorite BMW importer Max Hoffman ordered all the 2002s destined for his (US) market in only five colors:  Chamonix white, Granada red, Nevada tan/grey, and for extra $$, Polaris metallic silver and Baikal metallic blue.  That was it, even though 1600s could be had in nearly a dozen additional colors.  Max never explained his decision.  I tried to order my '69 in something else, but couldn't so settled for Nevada, my guess as to the longest-lived (and most dirt-friendly) color.  

That being said...if at the time you ordered your US spec car directly from overseas (military and diplomatic personnel, for example) and not through Hoffman's Overseas Delivery program, you could get the entire range of colors BMW offered.  We have documented more than a few 68s and 69s not painted those 5 above colors, and every one was an individual order from the factory via a European supplier (not Hoffman).

I suspect if you looked under carpeting, behind the dashboard, the spaire tire well, etc you'll see remnants of the car's original color, which is most likely one of those 5 colors--and Chamonix seems to be the most popular on those early cars.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow - great information-thank you mike. I am really enjoying digging into the car’s provenance and cannot wait to start the restoration. 

This delivering on 19.04.1968 to the BMW dealer Schorsch Meier opens up numerous possibilities. I return home on the 31st and will start scraping 🙂

Really appreciate everyone’s assistance here. Best, Tom

Tom,

I’d say: 

(1.) Granatrot-metallic (paint code 025) did not exist in 1968.

(2.) Your car is currently Granada, or something close (paint code 023). It’s certainly not metallic.

(3.) Note that the first five letters of both colors, “Grana”, are the same and both are reds

(4.) The records Archives are looking at generally show colors handwritten and, often, abbreviated. See below an example of the records: Note the Colorado (“col.”), Malaga (“mal.”), and Inka (“inka”) examples…

It’s pretty clear to me that they mis-read the record.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0625.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)