• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder

bahnstormer
Go to solution Solved by bahnstormer,

Has anyone got a lead on a master cylinder (BMW/Ate #34311120478) for my 1975 E12 520i?

I believe that was used on several models back then.

Also found a cross reference to  Raybestos MC39182.

Can anyone verify that it does fit?

Most vendors are out of stock on both or are asking more $$$ than the first 4 cars I owned combined ;)

Thanks,

Bruce

Edited by bahnstormer

520i profile 2.jpg

1 hour ago, bahnstormer said:

Has anyone got a lead on a master cylinder (BMW/Ate #34311120478) for my 1975 E12 520i?

1 hour ago, bahnstormer said:

Most vendors are out of stock on both or are asking more $$$ than the first 4 cars I owned combined ;)

I see what you mean, I dont think 520s were sold in the states so that complicates things.

A couple of possible overhaul kits on W&N, apparently there are 2 different diameter MCs...

That # appears to also fit US spec Tii's, not that it helps in your search😉

34311103740.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Repair kit for brake master cylinder 23.81 mm (no pistons, only sealings) for 518, 520i, 520/4 only LHD-models, up to 10/1977, you need 1 for 1 car. 2 plugs 22/8 mm are included, if you need 17/8...

34311150961.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

If ou've ever wondered why so many European master and wheel cylinders have oddball metric sizes (.e.g. the 23.81 mm above) it's because those cylinders are actually inch size.  I think 23.81 translates to 7/8 inch.  I've encountered that little anomaly on Euro brake parts from several different metric countries (Germany, France, Italy) going back to the 1940s...and even more strange, the threads on flexible brake hoses well into the 60s are not metric; they're US (inch) thread.  So perhaps you can find a kit for an American master cylinder with the same inch diameter as your 23.81mm...

mike 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution

Thanks to all who responded.

Vendors that could supply a replacement wanted $900 to over $1,000. WTF'nF!

Apple Hydraulics is only an hour from me and will rebuild it for $285.

WWW.APPLEHYDRAULICSONLINE.COM

The worlds largest rebuilder of lever action shock absorbers. Apple Hydraulics has served classic and vintage car enthusiasts since 1973 BUICK, FORD and MORE

520i profile 2.jpg