• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your battery (not ignition) cut off switch location.

Dudeland
Go to solution Solved by Cabbage Fumes,

Last weekend I got the tabs mounted to the bottom of the car for the fuel lines.  It was cramped, hot and awkward, but I got it done. 

I am turning my attention to the relocation of the battery.  I want to put a battery cutoff switch up front, but am wondering where to locate it.  I am feeling like mounting it in my center console, but with the prospect of the 6-speed and turbo, the center console may not stay in its current form, if at all. 

Is there a good location on the dash? Perhaps by the headlight switch?  My dash is toast and will have to be rebuilt at some point, so I am not worried about holes, as I would rather get it sorted out before I refinish the dash. 

Just wondering where other people put their switches. Obviously, I need to put it in some place where it is easily accessible by the driver. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

It isn't obvious to me that the cutoff switch needed to be in the cabin. But I only want it to lock out the battery for extended storage, not to ward off thieves (the manual transmission does that by default).

Also, I did a big fat switch as I like overkill. 

IMG_3577.thumb.jpg.aa68235547c6bbd5dba2d76f011079d5.jpg

Edited by slowbert
  • Like 3

You can also mount it to the rear seat lower support shelf right behind the drivers seat, get the kind with the removable key as a theft deterrent.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 minute ago, Dudeland said:

How is the Red Top working for you?  "0" gauge cable correct? 

Too premature to know.  I *hope* I can start the car this weekend for the first time since tearing it to pieces about a year and a half ago.

I think it was "0" gauge cable - ran it to the front with a couple distribution bars (one positive, one negative).  Used 6 gauge cable from there to the alternator & starter (positive) and engine block (negative).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

You can also mount it to the rear seat lower support shelf right behind the drivers seat, get the kind with the removable key as a theft deterrent.

I have one like this, also a spare.  Someone told me that they can go bad. 

Cutoff.thumb.jpg.ec650a9a87b53fcef9c865a2fa1102c5.jpg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Just now, slowbert said:

Too premature to know.  I *hope* I can start the car this weekend for the first time since tearing it to pieces about a year and a half ago.

Boy, I feel ya.  I will hopefully have mine moving under its own power in about 3 weeks.  It has been about 2 years for me.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

8 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Someone told me that they can go bad. 

I suppose anything can fail but I haven't heard of one failing, O gauge is plenty good you should only need around 200-250 amps to start cranking and that's in sub zero weather, I used 2/0 welding wire because it was free and it's way more flexible and has a much tougher jacket and again it was free plus the only good kill is overkill. I also use a 350 amp fuse to guard against a dead short.

31oq65QBesL._AC_.jpg

Victron_Energy-Mega-Fuse-Holder_2048x.jpg?v=1633542970

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I ran *both* positive and negative to the engine bay, so I have twice the length of battery wire (and twice the resistance) as if I had run just the positive cable and grounded the battery in the trunk. 

I upgraded to a 90 amp alternator from an E21 (I think) which deleted the voltage regulator.  I also added a newer model starter that uses more juice.  Figuring 15 ft each direction or 30 feet total, 0 gauge is overkill.  It will never see 90 amps continuous service, and I probably could have used 4 gauge, at least according to this chart:

DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

After reading all the posts about problems with poor grounding, I did home run wiring for all grounds to the terminal in the engine bay.  This included adding a ground from the instrument cluster directly to the negative terminal in the engine bay.  I also added relays for horn, high beams, low beams, fan, and fuel pump.

I have no interest in chasing problems if I can avoid it.

The picture below is the engine bay right now (before getting tidied up.)  Everything seems to work OK, but I haven't tested with the engine running, so I am holding off on the final wrapping of the wiring harness.  The terminals for positive and negative are below the relay box.

IMG_4241.thumb.jpg.d3798bd6b5376c36eaec31115f02edd3.jpg

• Like 4