• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 roof replacement and M60 swap

regalE34

Hey guys, new here. Been a big e34/e30 guy for the last few years and I recently just picked up a 1976 2002 to save. Its been very neglected, but I have a dream to bring it back to life. I need to give it a donor skin for the roof, its a sunroof car that got pretty ate up. I'm looking for a donor roof preferably no sunroof but either way is fine, if anyone has any leads I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be referencing the write up on here to complete it. I also have a good M60B40 with all accessories sitting in my garage, I have not seen much information on swapping one it in, wondering if anybody here has successfully completed the swap, and what modifications are possibly necessary to fit it? I have a large amount of time and budget for this project. 

If you're not looking to keep everything stock, Son of Cobra will sell you a nice CF roof.  If you're not a fan of CF, you can always paint it and still benefit from the weight savings.

WWW.SONOFCOBRA.COM

Lightweight carbon fiber roof skin for BMW 2002 e10 1966-77. Weight: 3.2kg (7lbs) Weight saving: 8.2kg (18lbs) non-sunroof Also Epoxy Fiberglass is available and ideal for vintage racing (banning modern carbon fiber composites). Our construction is lighter and stiffer...

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

On 8/26/2023 at 8:04 PM, regalE34 said:

I have not seen much information on swapping one it in, wondering if anybody here has successfully completed the swap, and what modifications are possibly necessary to fit it? I have a large amount of time and budget for this project. 

Mr. Dixon (FAQ member) has done a couple S62 swaps to great affect.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:21 PM, AceAndrew said:

Mr. Dixon (FAQ member) has done a couple S62 swaps to great affect.

lol okay I probably don't have the kind of budget/time this guy does. Damn, that is a crazy clean swap. I wish he went more into detail on how he made things fit properly. I dropped my M60b40 in and the oil pan does not fit, drivers motor mount will have to be altered, the firewall has to be refabbed, etc. 

On 8/28/2023 at 2:14 PM, Leucadian said:

If you're not looking to keep everything stock, Son of Cobra will sell you a nice CF roof.  If you're not a fan of CF, you can always paint it and still benefit from the weight savings.

WWW.SONOFCOBRA.COM

Lightweight carbon fiber roof skin for BMW 2002 e10 1966-77. Weight: 3.2kg (7lbs) Weight saving: 8.2kg (18lbs) non-sunroof Also Epoxy Fiberglass is available and ideal for vintage racing (banning modern carbon fiber composites). Our construction is lighter and stiffer...

+1 for Paul’s roof. I have it on my car and it’s painted so you can’t tell it’s carbon. Also reduces weight at the highest point of the car for better handling 🤘🏻

Also reduces weight at the highest point of the car for better handling

My first thought:  yeah, but 12 pounds off the roof won't make much difference in anything but a race car.

My second thought: if I EVER manage to get a race car upside down, the LAST thing I want is a Farbin Kaiber roof panel.

t

survivability is sometimes a concern

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

50 minutes ago, TobyB said:

My first thought:  yeah, but 12 pounds off the roof won't make much difference in anything but a race car.

My second thought: if I EVER manage to get a race car upside down, the LAST thing I want is a Farbin Kaiber roof panel.

t

survivability is sometimes a concern

the steel frame is still there it just replaces the sheet metal and carbon is just as strong. Hence why it’s used in every race car. 

Yes but broken carbon fiber is sharper than a razor, and when fractured it releases from the mother shape with some velocity, there was a sailboater who was killed when his mast broke and a shard of c/f went through his neck. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hence why it’s used in many purpose built race cars. 

fixed that for ya.  

The steel roof deforms, but will still have

puncture resistance and the ability to deflect debris.

The CF roof will become debris.  Especially if it un- bonds from the now- deformed steel car.

Especially if, after inverting, the car still has some momentum.

These are my thoughts...  you're welcome to argue

with them all you want- goodness knows, I certainly do!

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL