• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Improvement?

HLBlanton
Go to solution Solved by Gordon,

On 8/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, Mike G said:

Lighten the flywheel

100% agreed. My '73 2002tii came with a JB Racing 8.5# aluminum flywheel  when I first bought it 10+ years ago and I had no idea until I pulled the transmission after about 2 weeks of ownership to replace a screaming throwout bearing. I then drove numerous customer 2002tiis with stock flywheels and in comparison they felt sluggish revving up and down---the LW flywheel really wakes up the powertrain. Yet my car is super easy to drive, no propensity for stalling as in some other applications with LW flywheels such as a Porsche 911.

The point being, there is no downside to this modification on an otherwise stock M10 engine, probably because it has such a beefy (and heavy) forged crankshaft with large counterweights. The period air-cooled 911 crankshaft is akin to a race part, so an 8.5# flywheel in a street car makes it almost undrivable.

Other than that, a limited-slip differential makes these cars quite fun, along with minor suspension modifications. Off-the-shelf H&R springs and Bilstein Sport shocks and ST sway bars do the trick. My car has wider 15x7 fakey Alpina wheels and fender flares, so Danjer wider front control arms and Ireland roll center spacers complete the equation. The car flies over tight and twisty mountain roads and dirt and gravel roads with aplomb, yet the ride isn't excessively stiff, and there is a semblance of ground clearance in the case of super rough and rutted roads---see my recent thread about our CA to Alaska road trip for more about this!

To sum it up, a balanced package is key for enjoyment of these cars, and for any other car . . . .

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

On 8/5/2023 at 9:03 AM, ray_ said:

BOO 😁

On 8/5/2023 at 10:48 AM, TobyB said:

Eeek. 

But, Ray,

despite the decorations being up in the Home Despots,

Halloween isn't for months yet...

t

TobyB,

Thank you for sharing your observation of the world through your responses...very much appreciated !  :-)  

a

Light is seriously underrated.