• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choice of fluid; steering box

Go to solution Solved by Buckeye,

After reading here, it seems I need a gl4 hypoid gear oil, 80/90w for my steering box.  When I am searching for some to buy, some say Gl4 but don't mention 'hypoid', some are synthetic, etc.  May I ask the name of what you use which is currently available?

Many Thanks,

Scott

This is what i used in my newly rebuilt steering box. Semi fluid grease. Less likely to leak since its a grease, but since its a fluid grease it still runs and circulates to all the inside of the box.

Was a real pain to fill the box though. Had to pump it with a large syringe

225-345_1.jpg?optimize=medium&bg-color=2
MOSSMOTORS.COM

Steering Box Lube by Dynolite

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

You really need hypoid oil, as it's formulated for the extreme pressure generated when curved gear teeth mesh, as in a differential--or the steering box.  I'm neither a mechanical engineer nor a lubricant chemist, but if those folks say that's what to use, and hypoid (curved) gears have been in use for well over 100 years, who am I to argue?

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite