• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small defect in cylinder wall, getting opinions

Go to solution Solved by jimk,

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

It wont, not from the defects pictured anyway.

What about blow by?

I predict it would always be looser because someone pulled the head before draining the block then left the engine sit.  Now it has the pits.

I tried salvaging a long block that I bought for a builder engine.  After pulling the pistons it had pits.  Tried boring to 2nd over.  Here is how it ended.  Junked the block.

Cylinder 1A.jpg

Cylinder 2.jpg

Cylinder 3A.jpg

Cylinder 4A.jpg

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

59 minutes ago, jimk said:

someone pulled the head before draining the block then left the engine sit.  Now it has the pits.

This is your best case,  if it was a contaminate in the casting what else might be lurking under a thin film of metal. By chance is it a late 73 or early 74 block?

PS, I would have a hard time going back to a machinist who didn't mention that flaw when you picked it up.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks for the additional input guys. I'm taking the block to the machinist this week, will discuss sleeving etc. Agree that they should have brought it to my attention before I left with the parts, will see how they respond. In general I've had good experiences with them tho. 

With a few nights sleep I'm leaning towards rolling the dice and building it, will get it inspected and go from there tho. 

Also, thinking back on it the block came out of a running car with low compression. It sat in my finished basement for a few months but I definitely don't remember meaningful surface rust on the cylinder walls. Would point to cavities in the casting then. I'll have to check the date stamp when I'm home. 

Chatted with my machinist today. Long story short, they said they'd just run the block as-is. They re-honed that cylinder and checked the depth of the marks for me, ended up being about half a thou for the larger of the two. Not perfect, but it's such a small blemish on an otherwise good block they advised it wasn't worth the money to get it 100%. Photos of the clean cylinder below. 

PXL_20230727_003443734.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, reviving this old thread for an update. Finally got the time to get the engine totally together and did a 20-minute bench test this weekend. Compression numbers all look good after the test and no blow-by or other issues. We’ll see how it holds up, but for now I’m very relieved that the block seems solid.

IMG_4747.jpeg

• Like 8