• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CV/Half Shaft Spline Loose

RMBaiada

I am having a knocking problem in my rear half shafts. I thought it was the CV joints, so I purchased 4 new ones from Ireland Engineering. Put it all back together, and it still knocks. After closer examination, when I spin the tire slightly, the outer part of the CV joint closest to the tire moves solidly with the tire, but the axle doesn't move. It is only 3 to 5 degrees or less, but enough to knock. After taking it apart, it looks like there is some play in the splines between the CV joint and half shaft. I have another set of axles and one CV joint came off easily and one needs to be pressed off.

So, my questions are twofold.
  1. How hard should it be to remove and replace the CV joint from the axle. The new CV joints slid easily on the old axle half shaft splines.
  2. Is there any chance I messed up the splines on the new CV joints (900 miles of knocking with the new CV joints with old axles)?
  3. Can I use anything on the splines when I put it back together that prevents any future movement?

Anyone else have this problem, and what was the solution?

I have always had to carefully knock/press mine off and on.  Your shaft splines are probably too worn.  Try another half shaft.  If you only have another shaft that has the same issue, you might have to post an ad in the parts wanted section.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

1 hour ago, bergie33 said:

I have always had to carefully knock/press mine off and on.  Your shaft splines are probably too worn.  Try another half shaft.  If you only have another shaft that has the same issue, you might have to post an ad in the parts wanted section.

+1 should be hard to get off. Do you have the CV washers as well? Some have them and some do not - depends on play. For example, one side of mine each had a washer. The other side only had one. Sounds like that may be your issue with the one shaft. If you don't have any or have access to them, you can get them at McMaster - the one you need is in the box below 93501A038

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 5.07.34 PM.png

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
typo

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

Roldofo,

There were no washers when I took it apart. Is there a washer on each side of the CV joint or just one for each CV joint on each side of the axle.

If only one washer for each CV joint, does the washer go on the axle before or after the CV joint?

For some reason E21 shafts (newer, 10 mm bolts) have tiny bit ”larger” spline end so that might help? But the shaft is about 12 mm longer so might not plausible to use. 

my findings

Edited by tzei

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91