• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto Transport

markmac

Did the search, most of the threads are pretty old.  Need to ship my race car from Redwood City (CA) to Sun Valley (ID).  I would like to get it done this month if possible so I don't have to pay another month's storage.  I have quotes from Intercity and Reliable (+$2000 each), and then one from Gartho Logistics which I found in a Hagerty article.  They came in at $1850.

The car rolls/steers, but is non-op (even if you could start the motor, I wouldn't be having it.....) and I have some of the fiberglass parts (molds, spoiler etc., stored inside).  It needs to go in an enclosed trailer.

Given the price of fuel and what not - $1850 may be it.  If anyone has recent experience with a good, reliable hauler other than those mentioned above, let me know.  Tx

I bought a shell with lots of parts stored inside in Georgia. The shell had a steering wheel but no power and that raised the cost of transport. After getting quotes like yours, I borrowed a friend's diesel truck to drive from California, rent a trailer, and bring the shell back myself. I collected the receipts for fuel, hotels, incidentals, and trailer rental. I didn't save much doing it myself and almost got a ticket in California for exceeding the 55mph trailer limit. In retrospect, while I enjoyed the drive, I should have hired the transport company with the best reviews. Good luck!

• Like 1

Go on Hemmings Motor News on-line and look for "services offered"  Lots of folks advertising car hauling.  And I went through a broker in 2019 when we had 3 cars from the BMW CCA Museum's Passion exhibit, all going back to south Florida (both coasts) from Greenville SC.  Cost ended up about $450/car in an enclosed trailer--it worked out very well.  

IIRC I posted about that so if you do a search on car hauling, you can find the name of the broker.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have used Montway Auto Transport a few times for my 330ci's though it has been a few years.  Was very pleased with their service and the drivers did a good job of communicating on both the pick-up and delivery.  Prices were reasonable too, $500, less if you paid in cash!  Good luck with your shipping!

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Try Uship and create a listing with all the details. Shippers will bid on it and you can see their ratings. I shipped my shell to my painter in this capacity and also a rolling shell from Utah to Washington; both of which were enclosed.

You can save quite a bit here, simply because if a shipper has free space that aligns with your timing / better to fill that and get some money instead of just driving empty on a route.

Good luck!

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

I can STRONGLY recommend Cappy's. Automotive Transportation. They are California based, have competitive if not rock bottom pricing, and are easily the best company I have used. I've used them for everything from a '91 Porsche 911 to a '56 MB 300SL Gullwing.  Perfection. I think they only do enclosed shipping. Great communication.

For a more "mainstream" company, my favorite is Montway. Most of their rigs are company-owned, not independent operators. It gives them better control over who goes where and when.  Finally, Passport is OK. You can contact Camille Davis at(417) 650-0972. They are the "official" shipper for the Gullwing Group rallies, so obviously, they know their stuff, but I have had mixed experiences with timing and communications. 

That said, I'd put some sort of tracker in the car. I've used this GPS Tracker - Optimus 3.0 4G LTE Bundle with Waterproof Twin Magnet Case - 1 Month Battery which is great. It only costs about $40, and last pretty long, depending on the settings, but it does require a monthly subscription. You can sign up and cancel after you ship. Alternatively, you can just stick an Apple Airtag if you use IOS, or a Tile (both about $35 on Amazon.) Neither requires a subscription. They are not as quick to report but you don't need a subscription and they last hella long. 

I have Airtags in all my cars - classic and contemporary- , and also on my keychains. This is both for theft protection and for finding keys and cars when I misplace them. VERY cheap insurance. I misplaced keys at this huge event and the Findmy app got me to within 10 feet of them.

Optimus

Thanks for all the info/tips.  Cheap isn't always good when it comes to this sort of thing, especially when it is a matter of a couple of hundred dollars.  Since virtually everything on the car is one-off/rare/fabricated, anything damaged, stolen etc., would eclipse that couple of hundred bux really fast.  I found a company on hemmings and then just sent a request for quote to Cappys.  We'll see what we see.  Tx again.