• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

228mm and 215mm clutch interchangeability?

nbucklew

1972 BMW 2002 in Tulsa

I'm replacing my Getrag 232 4 speed (blown 2nd gear synchro) with a Getrag 242 4 speed out of an e21 320i.

Car had a 215mm Sachs clutch on it.

Have checked all the parts suppliers (Ireland/Blunttech/Pelican/BW/YADA YADA) and everyone seems to only have the 228 clutches and kits available. 

So is it crazy to ask whether these are interchangeable? Would I need a different flywheel?

Or was this combination found on another car that I might be able to source the 215mm clutch from?

Spent a lot of time on here and the internet trying to find an answer.

TIA and please don't suggest a 5 speed swap- this is what I'm working with.

-Nate

Nate Bucklew

1972 BMW 2002

Weber 40 DCOE

Ireland Stage 1 suspension

You'd need a 228mm flywheel-

for the bolt holes, mostly.

E21 clutches for the 318/320 bolt right onto the 2002 flywheel-

but I don't trust that it says it works on the 3.0- that strongly suggests that it's 228.

Even though the description says otherwise., and 8.5" is 215...

other places are showing the 215 friction plate, but I'm not seeing a pressure plate.

oops, no, RM is showing that BMW will take $300 from you for one...

Have you tried calling Steve at Blunttech?

FWIW, a 5 speed uses the same clutches that the 4 speed does, so that wouldn't solve anything.

If you search carefully here, you MIGHT find the pattern to redrill the flywheel to the 228.

If things go particularly... not 215'ish.  I'm surprised, though- historically, that pressure plate's

not been hard to find.  This might be another round of golbalization profitteering...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That make sense about the flywheel Toby.

Thanks for doing a lil recon- yeah it seems to be the pressure plate that is out of stock currently unless I were to consider the overpriced genuine BMW one. 

The one I pulled off the car was from 1988 so I probably shouldn't put it back in.

Thanks again for the insight

Nate Bucklew

1972 BMW 2002

Weber 40 DCOE

The dowel pins on a 215 are located midway between the pressure plate attachment bolt holes.  The 228 has the pins adjacent the bolt holes to avoid accidental (or an intentional attempt )  215 pp instal.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, nbucklew said:

The one I pulled off the car was from 1988 so I probably shouldn't put it back in.

Why not?

Was  it misbehaving? chattering? grabbing/jerking/slipping?

Showing signs of overheating (bluish color) excessively scored?

How many miles has it actually racked up since 1988?

They are pretty sturdy actually

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I put a 215mm flywheel with Volvo pressure plate and disc on to loose some weight when I did autocross. About 4 pounds less. I talked to a Sachs tech guy on the phone because 20+years ago. He said its rated for  turbo motors towards 200 horsepower so good to go. Some say less weight will make it jerky less smooth just driving around but I find it much smoother with less and would like to loose some more. 

• Like 1

Agreed about re- using if money's an issue.  As long as the surface looks good, and it 

wasn't slipping when it came out, scuff the surface, use a new friction surface, and

chances are it'll go another 30 years.  If you're not too hard on it, of course.

I race with the 215, but the Sachs version has a strap harmonics issue for high revs.

The VW 1.8 guys use a similar design, and have similar problems.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for all the responses everyone - the 73 Clymer repair book only covers so much 😆

No idea how many miles are on the car let alone the clutch- I only drove it home the day I bought it in 2013, and up and down the street a few times sorting out the carbs, etc.

I considered reusing the clutch, but ultimately just don't want to take all this stuff off again to get to it. Always the dilemma when you pull a transmission. 

Already fighting the urge to have Ireland lighten the flywheel - had a single mass on my 85 535i after converting from automatic to manual and it was so much fun!

Nate Bucklew

1972 BMW 2002

Weber 40 DCOE