• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tune up wires, dizzy, stuff, for 72 tii

Pablo M
Go to solution Solved by Pablo M,

I want to eliminate the basics on my car running right. I want to replace the dizzy cap and rotor and that thing on the outside of the dizzy (forgive me, I've had a bit of wine).

Now I have the NGK spark plugs and want to get the plug wires and dizzy cap/rotor/whatever.

Ive searched here and just got cross eyed.

Kingsborne wires seem the top ticket. Tried their website and also their 800 toll free number and no dice. I try to order online and their website is screwed up. I call and the number goes to a company that doesnt know Kingsborne.

Also the dizzy I have is an 002 dizzy, which is apparently the replacement for the 1972 2002tii dizzy. So I need links to wires, dist parts, etc.

I appreciate any info.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

That distributor will take the same cap/rotor/points/condenser as the stock '75-'76 distributors.  It is the late-style cap that fits into a notch in the top of the distributor housing.

The Kingsborne wire site seems to be working fine now.

If you wind up using NGK plugs with built in resistance, I'd suggest buying a rotor for an e21.  Our rotors have 5k ohm resistance built in which is the same as the R-plugs and the e21 rotor only has 1k ohm, which helps offset the added plug resistance.  Or, keep the stock rotor and use a different brand of plugs that still offers non-resistor options.

There are just 2 styles of ignition wires. Long and Short. If your coil is mounted in the front of the engine bay near the headlight, you need a long set. If the coil is mounted near the firewall in the back of the engine bay, you need a short set.

Long set

Short set

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

If you’ve got the 188 002 ti/tii Bosch replacement mechanical-advance-only dizzy, the only thing on the outside of your dizzy is a condensor. ( no vacuum pod). The original condensor, for RF noise suppression, was Bosch part 1 237 330 312.

• Thanks 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That distributor will take the same cap/rotor/points/condenser as the stock '75-'76 distributors.  It is the late-style cap that fits into a notch in the top of the distributor housing.

The Kingsborne wire site seems to be working fine now.

If you wind up using NGK plugs with built in resistance, I'd suggest buying a rotor for an e21.  Our rotors have 5k ohm resistance built in which is the same as the R-plugs and the e21 rotor only has 1k ohm, which helps offset the added plug resistance.  Or, keep the stock rotor and use a different brand of plugs that still offers non-resistor options.

Thanks. The Kingsborne site works, except when I try to pay. The pull down menu for Payment Method doesnt work so was looking at other recommendations.  I was able to get non R plugs already though. So all good there.

image.png.8e52743a92bc16dc64ce102803f261af.png

2 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

There are just 2 styles of ignition wires. Long and Short. If your coil is mounted in the front of the engine bay near the headlight, you need a long set. If the coil is mounted near the firewall in the back of the engine bay, you need a short set.

Long set

Short set

Thanks. I can't complete my purchase on that site. I do need the short. Any other recommendations besides Kingsborne?

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)