• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help finding destroyed wires in cabin

jaredmac11

Had a bit of a mishap cleaning out rust in my 02 cabin. The wire wheel grabbed a harness I tucked away and shredded it.

Two destroyed harnesses/connectors; a small black connector and a larger clear/yellowed connector.

Everything was passenger side. What I collected are multiple grounds, a blue/black (pass turn signal), a green/black (unsure, rear taillight?)

The blue/black was coming from the tunnel (running down driver side and across back seat partition). Wiring diagram indicates passenger turn signal.

Hoping someone has a project with these wires exposed so I can get a good sens how to rebuild.

Also take it from me, never sleep on the angle grinder.

PXL_20230315_015158853.jpg

PXL_20230315_014912411.jpg

PXL_20230315_014009416.jpg

PXL_20230315_014712649.jpg

Edited by jaredmac11
Clarity

Parking brake is intact. I'll get better photos. The second one In my hand is a blue black. I can't tell which of these ran with a ground is the real difficulty

And I guess I missed that but it's a 75.

Thanks for the kind words. Won't handle an angle grinder the same way agaib

Edited by jaredmac11

Blue/black is indeed the right side turn signals (front and back).

Maybe this crude sketch will help identify some of your spaghetti. 

I agree with Karl @bergie33.  The black wire with the 90-degree female connector looks like the rear window defroster wire.

TurnSignaldraft.thumb.jpg.d32c09216a8424cf3682292fa55da38b.jpg

Fuses1-4.thumb.jpg.8dee3730b58f4e54c7f1697c0fde428f.jpg

I’d guess with relative confidence that the green/black and most of the grounds belong to the seatbelt interlock system. Unless your seatbelt light, buzzer, or starter cutoff still worked, chances are those wires were disconnected years ago.  If they weren’t, you did yourself a favor because that system sucks.  Pat yourself on the back (with your good hand)

Here’s my interlock system just before I found it a new home.  In the garbage.  You can see the green/black in there, though. 
35F6D2E8-1C08-4069-897B-00F6BBD9B634.thumb.jpeg.76f687307d32b2c1b0c415cd3c3274ff.jpeg

The blue/black is odd in that all the rear lights should be in the bundle running along the driver’s sill. The only wire that should come from the tunnel is the reverse light, which is blue/white and runs from the front of the tunnel, then goes under the seat to rejoin that driver side bundle. Im curious about that one. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John76 said:

Blue/black is indeed the right side turn signals (front and back).

Maybe this crude sketch will help identify some of your spaghetti. 

I agree with Karl @bergie33.  The black wire with the 90-degree female connector looks like the rear window defroster.

Having some issues multi-quoting, but that is helpful.  Thought it was fronts only.  So I need to trace this back to the main harness and make sure everything is good.

Agreed with lucky that it is odd that it went over the tunnel like it did...

10 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

Here’s my interlock system just before I found it a new home.  In the garbage.  You can see the green/black in there, though. 

The blue/black is odd in that all the rear lights should be in the bundle running along the driver’s sill. The only wire that should come from the tunnel is the reverse light, which is blue/white and runs from the front of the tunnel, then goes under the seat to rejoin that driver side bundle. Im curious about that one. 

I think I see a blue black in that bundle.  Ill do some investigating but that is quite the rats nest of wires.  Seems plausible that BMW tied it all indicators together for some reason or another.

Presuming your car has its battery installed, the easiest way to figure out what isn't working is to start turning things on and see what doesn't work.  

Agree with other posters that the wire with the soft sleeve covering a right angle female terminal is one of the backlight defroster wires.  And a bunch of those wires with plastic connectors have gotta be for the seat belt/interlock circuit.  All best removed!  Another candidate for the neighbor's pool.  

I've had the inside of my 73 apart and don't remember seeing any wires/connectors like that running along either driver's or passenger's frame rail, and the only wire that went across the car's width went to the sensor in the passenger seat that triggered the seat belt light on the dash (73s don't have the interlock).  

Hope the wire brush wasn't what chewed into your hand...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite