• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SoCal build party🛠️

858slider

So, I’ve run into a few road blocks putting my car back together and it’s been awhile since I’ve actually wrenched on my ‘02. Am I lazy? A little. Is it cuz I have a job preventing me from moving forward? Maybe. Am I dying to get this thing running?definitely YES! Problem is, I’m a real novice with limited tools and experience. I mean, everything is pretty much here (shell, suspension and a running motor when last pulled) and I need to put it together. My question:

Anybody in the San Diego North County area like free BEER and PIZZA maybe a little 420?😁I’ll provide the garage, where it currently sits, and the chill atmosphere to have a friendly, laid back, no rush wrenching session. When it’s time to take a break, pick up a guitar and a cold one! So, if this sounds like you and you’re in the area of Escondido, Ca. Holler back! I’ll keep the hops on ice and beats n BBQ at the ready. BTW I work from home so, I’m here ALL DAY! Thanks for reading this everyone and happy tuning!🤙🏼

4CDD73FB-955F-48FA-A236-8D3C1C5556EF.jpeg

CDE70F2D-1094-4CCE-9897-EB0833CC9467.jpeg

• Like 3

I might enjoy coming down and spending the night in the garage one weekend for kicks (driving from LA lol). 

I could help put lots of big things together. Suspension, motor, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

45 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

How bare is the shell? Are there brake hard lines, or wiring harness? I'm up in OC and I may be able to come down for something you're especially challenged by.

The shell has nothing on it yet. I’ve only started with the rear suspension. So far I’ve got the subframe up and threw on the rims. Brake lines, I think, need to be replaced, haven’t gone thru all the parts I have but the PO said everything was on it when stripped and sent to body shop. I appreciate you lending your availability. 

34 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

I might enjoy coming down and spending the night in the garage one weekend for kicks (driving from LA lol). 

I could help put lots of big things together. Suspension, motor, etc. 

Cool! I actually I haven’t even thought about people coming from out of town. Now I need to have lodging ready for u guys! Lol Let me plan this a little more and keep u posted!

12 hours ago, 858slider said:

The shell has nothing on it yet. I’ve only started with the rear suspension. So far I’ve got the subframe up and threw on the rims. Brake lines, I think, need to be replaced, haven’t gone thru all the parts I have but the PO said everything was on it when stripped and sent to body shop. I appreciate you lending your availability. 

Hold on, let me give you some advice before you get any further. Make a plan. It's like building a house. Don't hang pictures before the plumbing is in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Dude, I am looking at flights from Toronto.

What is the Lear Jet in the shop again?

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 2/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, Furry Camel said:

Hold on, let me give you some advice before you get any further. Make a plan. It's like building a house. Don't hang pictures before the plumbing is in.

Thanks for the advice. I thought I had a plan, buy parts put them on! Lol of course put the drywall THEN the pictures. I majored in Architecture not Mechanical Engineering. 😂🤙🏼

Edited by 858slider
Misspelled
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, 858slider said:

Anybody in the San Diego North County area like free BEER and PIZZA maybe a little 420?😁

First time I sat down to this would be it for me, not sure how much you will get accomplished...competently😉

Hows your liability insurance?😁

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

858slider,

It looks like you got your hands full, a plan would be nice. I'm up here in the Inland Empire, I got an engine hoist if you need one unless you decide to put the engine in from the bottom.. I have a daughter out in Murrieta, so going down there for a day of wrenching is definitely a possibility. I have a small Toyota pickup so I could bring the hoist to you if you need to borrow it. I would start with a plan on tackling what you got there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, larry_in_socal said:

858slider,

It looks like you got your hands full, a plan would be nice. I'm up here in the Inland Empire, I got an engine hoist if you need one unless you decide to put the engine in from the bottom.. I have a daughter out in Murrieta, so going down there for a day of wrenching is definitely a possibility. I have a small Toyota pickup so I could bring the hoist to you if you need to borrow it. I would start with a plan on tackling what you got there.

I have access to a hoist but was really planning to put the engine up from below. Plan right now is finish the front subframe, slap the engine on it and get it up. Not sure what else of a plan I need but it seems pretty straight forward as far as getting the suspension and and motor up. Now getting it fired up is a whole different ball game as we all know. I’m going to cross that bridge as I come to it. First things first, getting it in rolling status. I’m a student at U of Y so I got that going. 😂 (University of YouTube) appreciate the offer and will definitely reach out for more assistance.

Edited by 858slider

41 minutes ago, tech71 said:

First time I sat down to this would be it for me, not sure how much you will get accomplished...competently😉

Hows your liability insurance?😁

Now sure how good the build will be but sure will be fun. Will definitely have to go over it of course getting everything tightened down to spec and working properly (steering and suspension) before even thinking about moving it. What’s liability insurance?? I have the VA😂😂

14 hours ago, 858slider said:

Thanks for the advice. I thought I had a plan, buy parts put them on! Lol of course put the drywall THEN the pictures. I majored in Architecture not Mechanical Engineering. 😂🤙🏼

No kidding? I'm an Architect, lol.

I agree on a rough plan at least. That way you can plan to do work thats easier before something else goes in/on and makes it harder. Like what can you do before the engine goes in, or the suspension, etc.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)