• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Cluster Question

Alex Abreu

Hi, 

I have a 72' 1602 that has issues with the speedometer. It wont get past 60km/h and the clock  doesnt work and the reserve light for the gas also does not go.  

As far as you know, is it servicable?   Are the clusters from post 73 interchangeble with this model? What am I facing?

If the fuel and temperature gauges are not working as well, check for 12V at the 12pin round connector that plugs into the back of the cluster.  It's the pin at 11 oclock looking at the connector  (pin 1 on the wiring diagram) and green wire. 

Switch key on and check for voltage (don't leave it on for a long time because if the ignition still has points, the coil can overheat.  If no voltage, then it's most likely at the fuse box as others have said.  

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, Alex Abreu said:

No, it's dead alltogether. I am dropping of the speedo today, a bit scared since the guy said it was a tricky speedo and not always fixable.

There's nothing tricky about the speedo. Try another shop.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 minutes ago, ray_ said:

That was my decision, had a recomendation for a new shop. Diferent talk alltogether, showed experience and cheaper estimate too.

But, what I need is the job done. Hope it needs just a good cleanup job. We will see.

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

+ 1.  I've had mine apart several times, both to fix an inoperative odometer as well as fixing the speedometer.   Not rocket science inside, just common sense and a little knowledge of how a speedometer works.

The clock might be an easy fix.  It's actually a mechanical, wind-up clock that's wound by a solenoid.  The winding up lasts only a few minutes, but when the clock spring winds down, the solenoid is energized by a set of points (like a relay) and winds the clock again.  Usually the problem is the points are burned/dirty and won't pass current.  That's an easy fix once you remove the clock from the cluster and then its outer housing  You'll see the points.  You might also want to oil the gears in the clock itself; use clock oil (only!!!) and use it sparingly.  Bet you can get it going again.  

mike

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite